Join now - be part of our community!

proximity sensor issue on Z1 Compact

SOLVED
Gikey
Visitor

proximity sensor issue on Z1 Compact

Hi,
Since 6 days I am a new user of Sony Xperia Z1 Compact (had previously Xperia Arc S) and since the beginning I have been facing strange problems with proximity sensor or other thing associated with it (some kind of drivers, software or something else).
When I start dialing and put the phone near my ear the screen goes blank immediately as it should be. When I take it away from my ear the screen wakes up with 0,5 sec. delay what is completely acceptable for me but this 0,5 sec. delay is only during dialing.
When a phone call is started then this delay is about 2 or 3 sec. and sometimes screen wakes up when the person I was talking to has ended the call. It is completely unacceptable and very annoying. Sometimes, during phone call, I do not want to end it but I need a keypad or check something etc. and I do not want to wait 3 sec. or more for phone response.
Sometimes I wonder if the person I am talking to did not end the call then the screen will ‘never’ wake up.
As I said I have this phone for a few days and I have a very few apps installed from Google Play Store on it– no other that I had on my Xperia Arc S.

I have searched some forums and noticed that this problem exists and there is still no solution for it.

Could you, Sony guys/technicians, tell us (Xperia Z1/Z1s/Z1 Compact users) if you are aware of this problem, please? Is it hardware or software problem? Are you working on solution? Is it possible to fix it by simple software update? When can we expect the proper update to solve the problem?

Regards
Grzegorz

73 REPLIES 73
Boomerius
Visitor

Same here,

I have the phone for 2 weeks now, and only now I realized, that my speaker turns on, my mic turns off, etc.. because the screen just keeps turning on while I still speak (while phone is next to my ear)

SONY - you must do something about this! this one is extremely annoying!

stevo125
Visitor

Is anyone prepared to attempt the solution proposed on the Z ultra forum? It involves factory resetting the phone, and NOT restoring any backup; the phone will then allow a calibration routine for the sensor.

I do not have time to do this at the moment...perhaps at the weekend.

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z-Ultra/Proximity-sensor-issue-resolved/td-p/375499

sg_
Visitor

Same problem!

Huge delay to wake the screen up when on a call. Initially thought it was my settings but seems to be a recurring problem with this phone. Unacceptable really. Owned an Xperia ray previosuly and that was fine compared to this one. 

JohnnyG2
Visitor

I have the same problem on my Z1 Compact (black version, 4.3 JB)! There has to be a problem in the dialing app, because when I run Sony's diagnostics tool, the proximity sensor responds immediately. I have enountered a similar problem with my old HTC Sensation, but it took there 1-2 seconds to wake up, not 3-4. I hope this is fixed soon, because it is becoming really annoying.

Gikey
Visitor

Since 2 days I have had a KitKat on my phone. Proximity sensor issues seems to be gone.

Of course with the new system new problems and bugs have come ... but this is another story.

So then, if in the next few days I don't have any proximity sensor issues I'll admit that a KitKat update solves this problem.

RobH
Visitor

Same problem, quite embarrassing when you say your goodbye and can't hang up for a while because the screens off! I too have no cover of protector.
rashekar
Visitor

Yes, the proximity sensor issue has been taken care in the new update (Android Kitkat 4.4.2). The display is seen instantly the moment the phone is away from your ears!

Gikey
Visitor

Today I can confirm that KitKat update solves the problem.

David30
Visitor

i don't believe Slightly_smiling_Face

Gikey
Visitor

You should but don't be too happy too soon Winking_Face

One problem has gone but bunch of many new has come ... some useful functions has gone, some have been foolishly changed and complicated.