Join now - be part of our community!

proximity sensor issue on Z1 Compact

SOLVED
Gikey
Visitor

proximity sensor issue on Z1 Compact

Hi,
Since 6 days I am a new user of Sony Xperia Z1 Compact (had previously Xperia Arc S) and since the beginning I have been facing strange problems with proximity sensor or other thing associated with it (some kind of drivers, software or something else).
When I start dialing and put the phone near my ear the screen goes blank immediately as it should be. When I take it away from my ear the screen wakes up with 0,5 sec. delay what is completely acceptable for me but this 0,5 sec. delay is only during dialing.
When a phone call is started then this delay is about 2 or 3 sec. and sometimes screen wakes up when the person I was talking to has ended the call. It is completely unacceptable and very annoying. Sometimes, during phone call, I do not want to end it but I need a keypad or check something etc. and I do not want to wait 3 sec. or more for phone response.
Sometimes I wonder if the person I am talking to did not end the call then the screen will ‘never’ wake up.
As I said I have this phone for a few days and I have a very few apps installed from Google Play Store on it– no other that I had on my Xperia Arc S.

I have searched some forums and noticed that this problem exists and there is still no solution for it.

Could you, Sony guys/technicians, tell us (Xperia Z1/Z1s/Z1 Compact users) if you are aware of this problem, please? Is it hardware or software problem? Are you working on solution? Is it possible to fix it by simple software update? When can we expect the proper update to solve the problem?

Regards
Grzegorz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gikey
Visitor

Today I can confirm that KitKat update solves the problem.

View solution in original post

73 REPLIES 73
Johan
Master

Hi and welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

That sounds strange. Do you use any screen protector?

Do you get the same result if you clean/wipe the sensor area?

hpsauce37
Visitor

I've had similar issues with mine also. Thought there was a problem related to the Roxfit case but getting similar problems with it now removed. I now have had several occasions where when I get a call and the phone is in my pocket it answers itself before I've hadchance to.
Gikey
Visitor

@Johan wrote:

Hi and welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

That sounds strange. Do you use any screen protector?

Do you get the same result if you clean/wipe the sensor area?

Hi,

I do not use any additional screen protectors or covers. It is just pure Z1 Compact out of the box Slightly_smiling_Face

My sensor area was/is clean and I am completely sure of that.

Maybe I was not precise enough, sorry. The 'delay situation' I was talking about is the most often situation. Sometimes during the phone call, proximity sensor works as it should be - immidiate response.

Proximity sensor passes 'Diagnostics' app test flawlesly.

The only application related to 'calling' I use is 'exDialer' but I have been using it for 2 years with Xperia Arc S and everything worked fine. I uninstalled this app for test but it didn't change anything.

mavql
Visitor

Hi, I am having the exact same problem. My phone is clean, I'm not using any case. (z1 compact, 5 days in) I've tried the diagnostic tool- it works fine. It's pretty sensitive though- it senses proximity about 3cm away. But when I'm on a call, or end a call, there is at least a 2 second delay before the display reappears. I've even had a couple of occasions where the sou d has dropped out & the other person has hung up on me before I can get the display back to see what's going on. I'm using the built in calling app too- no external software. Any ideas? Thanks
Chal086
Visitor

I have had mine for 2 days and noticed as I frantically wave my hand for about 2 secs in front of the screen when finished on a call.

Gikey
Visitor

Hi,

I think that problem is quite well known at least from Xperia Z1.

For example: http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z1-Z1s/proximity-sensor-issue/td-p/378373

You can find similar cases on XDA forums.

The only problem is that Sony doesn't want to admit that problem exists. At least I haven't found another Sony's question but "do you have any cover or protector".

Additionally I am quite convinced now to have another problem with my Z1 Compact. Many times voice of a person I talk to is getting metallic with some kind of little vibration, little distorted - I don't know how to describe it. Generally, voice is not clear.

It is a smartphone but it is still A PHONE. In this phone basic phone's functions doesn't work properly. I have started wondering to give it back and get my money back. Unortunatelly, in Poland it is not so easy.

frantzouille
Visitor

Same problem here : new z1 compact 4 days of use, screen is clean, no protection on it. 

I had a Z1 before it, and never encountered this kind of problem...

Hope this is just software problem...

z1compactuser
Visitor

I had this problem too, but went away after I rebooted the phone and ran the calibration tool a few times it started working.. keeping fingers crossed it won't come back as it's pretty annoying when it happens. I suggest setting hang up to power button so you can hang up and use the phone in case this happens.. Slightly_smiling_Face

Aj178
Visitor

Am having the same problem as well with my compact, i hope this is a software problem