Join now - be part of our community!

proximity sensor issue on Z1 Compact

SOLVED
Gikey
Visitor

proximity sensor issue on Z1 Compact

Hi,
Since 6 days I am a new user of Sony Xperia Z1 Compact (had previously Xperia Arc S) and since the beginning I have been facing strange problems with proximity sensor or other thing associated with it (some kind of drivers, software or something else).
When I start dialing and put the phone near my ear the screen goes blank immediately as it should be. When I take it away from my ear the screen wakes up with 0,5 sec. delay what is completely acceptable for me but this 0,5 sec. delay is only during dialing.
When a phone call is started then this delay is about 2 or 3 sec. and sometimes screen wakes up when the person I was talking to has ended the call. It is completely unacceptable and very annoying. Sometimes, during phone call, I do not want to end it but I need a keypad or check something etc. and I do not want to wait 3 sec. or more for phone response.
Sometimes I wonder if the person I am talking to did not end the call then the screen will ‘never’ wake up.
As I said I have this phone for a few days and I have a very few apps installed from Google Play Store on it– no other that I had on my Xperia Arc S.

I have searched some forums and noticed that this problem exists and there is still no solution for it.

Could you, Sony guys/technicians, tell us (Xperia Z1/Z1s/Z1 Compact users) if you are aware of this problem, please? Is it hardware or software problem? Are you working on solution? Is it possible to fix it by simple software update? When can we expect the proper update to solve the problem?

Regards
Grzegorz

73 REPLIES 73
David30
Visitor

I had 2 weeks for testing, I had 3 new phones (of course i've replaced it three times and finally recieved refund)
but now, your confirmation is good news for me

proximity sensor works fast as other phones?

thanks

Gikey
Visitor

I don't  know other phones but we are talking about immediate response so you shouldn't be dissapointed, I'm not anymore.

But, as I said, one problem has gone and new arrived.

I'm going to write a few words about it in 'Xperia Z1 Compact 4.4 Update Issues' thread.

Gramail2010
Visitor

Gikey, can you say more about the new probs the update causes? I have this annoying proximity sensor issue also with the screen going to sleep at every opportunity, plus it won't switch to bluetooth headset, but I'm fearful of having worse problems if I go for a half-baked  buggy update! cheers

Gikey
Visitor

I wrote a few words on page 7 of 'Xperia Z1 Compact 4.4 Update Issues'.

I think you should read the whole thread.

You should especially pay attention to baterry life - I think it's worse than 4.3 JB; and notification sound, ringtone issue.

I think the worst thing (luckily I'm not experiencing it) is a ringtone issue. Sound of the ringtone goes to ear speaker instead of loud speaker placed at the bottom of the phone. Because of this ringtone is almost unhearable so it's very easy to miss a call.

zedb
Visitor

Hi guys, I've had the reported problems today. The metallic sounding phone calls. The screen going black, the phone not unlocking when pressing power button. I turned my phone off for a couple minutes and turned it bk on. Problems have gone
Tusif
Visitor

I've had my z1 compact a few days now and I have the exact same issue, after seeing all the people on this thread with the same problem gives a customer enough grounds to return the phone, I will be returning mine first thing in the morning, very disappointed Sony, Samsung here I come.

Blind_fan
Visitor

i faced exactly the same problem before i update it to kitkat version.

it works perfectly now.

wilpang20
Visitor

Hi Gikey

I have recently updated to Kitkat and lucky enough I haven't encountered any of the major issues but the proximity sensor when taking calls is still not fixed after the update even after a factory reset...

Is there any other suggestions i can try?
profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

Have you also tried a software repair?

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/tools/update-service/

alexdon
Gikey
Visitor

@wilpang20 wrote:
Hi Gikey

I have recently updated to Kitkat and lucky enough I haven't encountered any of the major issues but the proximity sensor when taking calls is still not fixed after the update even after a factory reset...

Is there any other suggestions i can try?

I used a Flashtool for update with full wipe out and then I did 'phone repair' through PC Companion.