Join now - be part of our community!

Live With Walkman WT19i - Ambient Light Sensor not working

SOLVED
Dexter1
Visitor

Live With Walkman WT19i - Ambient Light Sensor not working

I purchased Live with Walkman 2 months back (in Jan12) and the Ambient light sensor is not working for me...also the screen starts flickering sometimes when I make the brightness level low (usually at 35 - 40% brightness level) to save battery life.

Also, I have installed "Battery Light Saver" application, and under Customisation option--> Under Screen Brightness section it says the sensor is not available. However, the Sony Support Documentation available on their website says there is a Ambient Light Sensor available for this Phone.

I have done factory reset, updated the firmware, repaired the new firmware but of no use....

This is my first Sony & Android phone, but never exected this kind of product from Sony...really frustrated now...will be visiting service centre tomorrow... Slightly_frowning_Face

Seems to be harware issue and I have been given a DEFECTIVE PRODUCT...Is this problem faced by only me or are there more people facing problem...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nabeel
Master

great
your screen flickers, this means your ambient light sensor is working

to again confirm
dial *#*#7378423#*#* in dialer and > tap on service tests > ambient light sensor >
cover your ambient light sensor, then uncover your ambient sensor, project some light on it and see if it value varies
if its value changes this means everything is perfect Slightly_smiling_Face

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Nabeel
Master

great
your screen flickers, this means your ambient light sensor is working

to again confirm
dial *#*#7378423#*#* in dialer and > tap on service tests > ambient light sensor >
cover your ambient light sensor, then uncover your ambient sensor, project some light on it and see if it value varies
if its value changes this means everything is perfect Slightly_smiling_Face

Dexter1
Visitor

Yes, I checked using the above code & method and it shows the values increasing and decreasing...theoritically it seems fine but practically it may not be that effective as it should have been.

Alo I am not sure why "Battery Light Saver" application is giving me the error under Screen Brightness section (Customization option) not sure what it is looking for...this was another reason of my doubt. Can you advise on that as well...

Thanks for your help!

Nabeel
Master

some apps that control ambient light sensor don't work until they have root access

it might be the case with this app

post the link of this app here, i will try to find the cause

Dexter1
Visitor
Nabeel
Master

hi
i didn't find words related to ambient light sensor in its description
try uninstalling and reinstalling this app and see if it helps.

if not then you might need to contact its develpoer

one thing.. these apps usually harm your battery rather than providing any benefit.

My advice is to uninstall it ,, you android is smart enough to manage its battery
rest your wish

try installing this app again,, its working fine with me Slightly_smiling_Face

do ell the results

Dexter1
Visitor

Hi,

I reinstalled the application but nothing changed (already repaired firmware yesterday)...below are the screenshots

Optimization-->Advanced Customised Mode-->Screen Settings-->Battery Saving Brightness. Now this "Battery Saving Brightness" option is greyed and when I try to change it says "No Light Sensor detected,. This feature is unavailable".

I also agree with your point that these apps drain more battery than saving it, but concerned about this error

screenshot_2012-03-19_1715.png

screenshot_2012-03-19_1716.png

Nabeel
Master

okh buddy congrats, this problem is not only with you.. I have ARC S

this apps needs root access,, my option is also grey and whenever i try to move the slider, , it says no ambient light sensor detected ... this is because there is no root access.. Slightly_smiling_Face

now you can be happy

Don't forget to mark the Helpful Answers

screenshot_2012-03-19_2352_1.png

Dexter1
Visitor

Thanks for ur help!!

Not applicable

@Nabeel :

Dial *#*#7378423#*#* very helpfull for me..  Thanks. But, if we dial that number, free or any charge?

I put my WT19i on my bag. When i take my WT19i from my bag, the screen didn't locked and the display light over 1 hour on my bag. I'm little panic because my WT19i is overheat, the battery drain over 30%. I do not know for sure whether the cause of overheat from the screen or battery. After overheat, my WT19i still normal, no restart issue. I check my screen, it still normal, but my WT19i going slow. I reset to factory setting, then normal again. After i use over 3 hour, i found a little weird, my ambient light sensor didn't work properly, the i found this forum and usefull for me. I try to dial *#*#7378423#*#* then test my device. My ambient light sensor work properly now. WT19i is good phones, i love it. If i had more money, i wanna buy Xperia Arc S. Thanks in advance...