Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia Z5 Adaptive brightness issue

SOLVED
Andrej123
Visitor

Xperia Z5 Adaptive brightness issue

My all new Z5 has a issue with the adaptive brightness. It is way too dark. Even compared with my Z3. What can I do?

12 REPLIES 12
harrienak
Visitor

Hi all,

Can someone look at my Ambient Light Sensor test experience and tell me if this is normal? See below!

Background:

I am still having a problem with the Adaptive Brightness: indoors, with only atmospheric ambient lights on, the screen is always a little too dark. However, when going outside or in brightly lit rooms, the screen adjusts just fine.

Other people have reported this issue but I have not seen any solution yet aside from switching AB off, which imo would be a shame since it's such a convenient feature.

In an attempt to find out what's wrong I performed a Service Test of the Ambient Light Sensor. Moving the phone around I notice the possible measured value seems to lie between 0.0 and 30000.0. 

The 30000.0 is reached when briefly pointing a bright lamp right at the sensor.

Outside, on a cloudy afternoon, it measures around 400-500.

In a reasonably well-lit (bath)room, it's around 60.

On a shadowy spot on my desk (a typical place where the screen gets too dark), the value goes down to 13.0 or 6.0. Below these values there is only 1.0 and 0.0 - I get this when I hold my hand over the sensor at around 1 inch (2,5 cm) distance (so there is not much light reflecting on the phone anymore, but still some!)

The (13.0/6.0) shadowy spot is still bright enough for me to be able to easily read written sticky notes. It is also bright enough to still be able to read the 'SONY' and 'XPERIA' logos on the back of my (black) phone.

Questions: 

- Is my ALS working as can be expected?

- Is there a way to structurally increase the brightness at lower ambient light values?

Thanks!

harrienak
Visitor

I guess a forum moderator merged the new thread I created with this older thread.

If that's the case, then could this mod also please remove the 'SOLVED' flag from this thread? The original topic starter apparently defined his own post as 'accepted solution' while there has not been any solution yet... Thanks! (P.S. is there any way to contact the mods for this kind of remark?)

harrienak
Visitor

@Michael207 wrote:

Notice, when you turn on you Z5 the screen is really really bright and just before it's fully powered up, contrast and saturation drops really heavily!?
This is done by software. Even with auto brightness turned off and screen brightness turned to maximum. It's ridiculous.
And really annoying!

I'm not sure whether that's directly related to this topic's issue but indeed it appears as if 'full brightness' is the default value - eg whenever you turn AB off, it will briefly go to full brightness first before settling at the brightness defined by the slider. Perhaps the better option would have been to make 50% brightness the default value... Is that what you meant or is it the drop that annoys you? :smileysmileywink:

If you have any spare time, could you perhaps have a look at my little sensor test and compare it with your own findings?