Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to directly download data to SD card(NOT INTERNAL MEMORY)

SOLVED
Bhavin_Darji
Visitor

Unable to directly download data to SD card(NOT INTERNAL MEMORY)

I am using UC browser mini and trying to download any data directly in external memory card...

It shows " The current storage card is unavailable, please choose the another one"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rickard
Master

The issue here is not the phones software. sdcard0 should point to the internal storage and not the external sd card in Xperia Z Ultra. sdcard0 is used for the external SD card in some older models we had that didn't have any internal storrage.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Rickard
Master

I recommend that you first check so that the SD card is working properly. You can for example set the camera to store directly to the SD card and see if that works. To do this, start the camera and tap [menu], the settings tab and then "Data storage".

If this works i recommend that you contact the developer of this app to see if it's supported and for troubleshooting. You can reach them on this email address: help@idc.ucweb.com

Bhavin_Darji
Visitor

I am not talking about camera app, it is a internet browser app and is there any solution for below image problem?_20150826_101208.JPG

Rickard
Master

I understand this but this is not a limitation of the phones software or Android version so the message you're seeing in this app is incorrect. If other apps such as the camera is able to store pictures to your SD card then this is something that needs to be fixed by the developer of the internet browser app.

Bhavin_Darji
Visitor

Actually the problem is only camera app can directly store in the external memory card no any other app can directly write in the external memory card. This screenshot is taken from the perfactly clear(camera app).

Rickard
Master

The information the app (or the developer of the app) is giving you is not correct. Downloaded apps can of course write directly to the external SD-card but the method of how the developer of an app can do so depends on the Android version. Google implemented new security features regarding this in Android 4.4 which was changed again in Android 5.0. So the developers of these apps needs to implement support for it. If you want to verify that downloaded apps can write directly to your card you can test for example Total Commander from Google Play.

If the developer of the app claims it's a limitation of the phone and Android i suggest that you refer them to this url: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-platform/PkLYIERoJvo

Bhavin_Darji
Visitor

I do not know that it is a proper way or not but I found this solution for this issue...

1. Open the file platform.xml in the directory /system/etc/permissions/

2. add this part under the line "android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_SOTRAGE"

<group gid="media_rw" />

Now every app like ShareIt, Xender and TTorrent and UC browser all these apps can write directly in the external SD card.

Rickard
Master

To modify the phones software in this way you would need a rooted device and please note that rooting your device may void the warranty.

Bhavin_Darji
Visitor

I know that will void the warrenty.

I do not want to do this but due to software limitation( I think) I did modify that file. I think sony made this limitation in the software to void the unnessasory write access to the external storage.

If it is not then why I can properly write to external storage after the modification of the file?

Rickard
Master

This is standard for Android and not specific for our products. Google has designed Android 4.4/5.0/5.1 this way for security reasons. In earlier versions of Android a downloaded app could for example modify files on the SD card that belongs to another app or delete files that belongs to other apps. I 4.4 Google designed Android so that a downloaded app could only write to it's own directory on the external SD. In 5.0/5.1 it's possible for an app to request access to other folders which you as a user then can allow/deny.

I believe what you have done is to turn that security off.