Join now - be part of our community!

proximity sensor issue on Z1 Compact

SOLVED
Gikey
Visitor

proximity sensor issue on Z1 Compact

Hi,
Since 6 days I am a new user of Sony Xperia Z1 Compact (had previously Xperia Arc S) and since the beginning I have been facing strange problems with proximity sensor or other thing associated with it (some kind of drivers, software or something else).
When I start dialing and put the phone near my ear the screen goes blank immediately as it should be. When I take it away from my ear the screen wakes up with 0,5 sec. delay what is completely acceptable for me but this 0,5 sec. delay is only during dialing.
When a phone call is started then this delay is about 2 or 3 sec. and sometimes screen wakes up when the person I was talking to has ended the call. It is completely unacceptable and very annoying. Sometimes, during phone call, I do not want to end it but I need a keypad or check something etc. and I do not want to wait 3 sec. or more for phone response.
Sometimes I wonder if the person I am talking to did not end the call then the screen will ‘never’ wake up.
As I said I have this phone for a few days and I have a very few apps installed from Google Play Store on it– no other that I had on my Xperia Arc S.

I have searched some forums and noticed that this problem exists and there is still no solution for it.

Could you, Sony guys/technicians, tell us (Xperia Z1/Z1s/Z1 Compact users) if you are aware of this problem, please? Is it hardware or software problem? Are you working on solution? Is it possible to fix it by simple software update? When can we expect the proper update to solve the problem?

Regards
Grzegorz

73 REPLIES 73
ravi72
Visitor

When I click for calling
Than screen off
And not open by the power button
Than cut the call
Screen on by power button
Please anybody help me
That is a setting problem or a technical fault?
komilAD
Visitor

@ravi72

I think its a bug, restart your phone and check the same.

fredzebu
Visitor

sony xperia z1 compact, no screen protector, kitkat 4.4.4

screen goes blank immediately during call, won't unblank. I've been chasing it as a hw prob because it started a few months ago when I had a broken screen replaced.  Did service test *#*#7378423#*#* Proximity Sensor .. always on, can't change it. Tried cleaning the screen with methylated spirits, and to my amazement, the proximity sensor turned on and off briefly but I could not make the behavior predictable until finally it dawned on me that it was working correctly when the screen top left corner was wet. Metho evaporates very quickly so next I tried licking the top left screen corner and it works as an effective solution .. pardon the pun!

It is early days but it works for me. When I answer a call and the screen goes blank and I want it to unblank I lick the top left corner .. strange public behaviour but what .

Hope this helps. It would be nice if there was a service calibration that allowed me to set the hysteresis levels for the sensor.

aerom
Visitor

Thanks for your workaround! Astonishingly works also for me. Have you had any further success fighting this problem or still licking your phone?