Join now - be part of our community!

proximity sensor issue on Z1 Compact

SOLVED
Gikey
Visitor

proximity sensor issue on Z1 Compact

Hi,
Since 6 days I am a new user of Sony Xperia Z1 Compact (had previously Xperia Arc S) and since the beginning I have been facing strange problems with proximity sensor or other thing associated with it (some kind of drivers, software or something else).
When I start dialing and put the phone near my ear the screen goes blank immediately as it should be. When I take it away from my ear the screen wakes up with 0,5 sec. delay what is completely acceptable for me but this 0,5 sec. delay is only during dialing.
When a phone call is started then this delay is about 2 or 3 sec. and sometimes screen wakes up when the person I was talking to has ended the call. It is completely unacceptable and very annoying. Sometimes, during phone call, I do not want to end it but I need a keypad or check something etc. and I do not want to wait 3 sec. or more for phone response.
Sometimes I wonder if the person I am talking to did not end the call then the screen will ‘never’ wake up.
As I said I have this phone for a few days and I have a very few apps installed from Google Play Store on it– no other that I had on my Xperia Arc S.

I have searched some forums and noticed that this problem exists and there is still no solution for it.

Could you, Sony guys/technicians, tell us (Xperia Z1/Z1s/Z1 Compact users) if you are aware of this problem, please? Is it hardware or software problem? Are you working on solution? Is it possible to fix it by simple software update? When can we expect the proper update to solve the problem?

Regards
Grzegorz

73 REPLIES 73
Kosi
Visitor

I think the problem starts when the current call is longer than what is set under Settings-Display-Sleep. So if the call is longer than the set period (in my case 30 sec) the screen does not come back automatically when you remove it from your ear to use the numeric key, or to check anything during the call or even to end the call. I always have to "wake up" the screen by pressing the power button

Gikey
Visitor

So many clues and suggestions and not even a single word from Sony ... Anguished_Face

David30
Visitor

same here
Slightly_frowning_Face
Dear Sony, please help to us!

Aj178
Visitor

I have this feeling that i am gonna throw my compact in the garbage if it kept disconnecting during my phone calls because of the stupid proximity sensor
Aj178
Visitor

Low quality service.. Low quality customer interaction and response no wonder sony cannot compete with big players in the market
Coing
Visitor

I've also got this issue which is annoying. It also decides to randomly 'hold' the call which i have to keep pressing 'receive call' to come out of it. This happens like 3 times during a call

nkz1c
Visitor

Same problem here. New phone. Nothing added. When ending a call, putting phone away from ear, one has to wait for 2,5 sec to be able to press the end call button. This is a critical time, when you have to be quiet and wait for the call to end. FIX this please. 0,5 sec is enough! Thank you Sony.... I really do not want to go to htc again for that reason...
nyc_rock
Visitor

Same issue here.  Hopefully addressed in Kitkat update.

WingzRay
Visitor

got this problem as well with my 2 weeks old z1c... 

maffmace
Visitor

I bought my wife the Pink Z1 Compact last week, she constantly presses numbers, mutes herself or hangs up on calls as the screen keeps coming on while it's against her ear.

The first 2 calls she ever got on it automatically went to speakerphone on answering too (probably unrelated)

Done a full reset, still the same.