Join now - be part of our community!

proximity sensor issue on Z1 Compact

SOLVED
Gikey
Visitor

proximity sensor issue on Z1 Compact

Hi,
Since 6 days I am a new user of Sony Xperia Z1 Compact (had previously Xperia Arc S) and since the beginning I have been facing strange problems with proximity sensor or other thing associated with it (some kind of drivers, software or something else).
When I start dialing and put the phone near my ear the screen goes blank immediately as it should be. When I take it away from my ear the screen wakes up with 0,5 sec. delay what is completely acceptable for me but this 0,5 sec. delay is only during dialing.
When a phone call is started then this delay is about 2 or 3 sec. and sometimes screen wakes up when the person I was talking to has ended the call. It is completely unacceptable and very annoying. Sometimes, during phone call, I do not want to end it but I need a keypad or check something etc. and I do not want to wait 3 sec. or more for phone response.
Sometimes I wonder if the person I am talking to did not end the call then the screen will ‘never’ wake up.
As I said I have this phone for a few days and I have a very few apps installed from Google Play Store on it– no other that I had on my Xperia Arc S.

I have searched some forums and noticed that this problem exists and there is still no solution for it.

Could you, Sony guys/technicians, tell us (Xperia Z1/Z1s/Z1 Compact users) if you are aware of this problem, please? Is it hardware or software problem? Are you working on solution? Is it possible to fix it by simple software update? When can we expect the proper update to solve the problem?

Regards
Grzegorz

73 REPLIES 73
yous
Visitor

SONY YOU NEED FIX THIS ISSUE
Gikey
Visitor

Maybe problem is unfixable (because it is hardware issue or ‘nobody knows’ issue) like screen flickering I have been experiencing while I had Xperia Arc S  and I am experiencing with Xperia Tablet S I have (quite well known problem with these models).

Maybe that’s why Sony is sitting quiet and ignore it because if they admitted it they would have to replace all Z1Compact devices or give back money. Moreover, this kind of ‘news’ wouldn’t be good from marketing point of view.

Yesterday I did full factory reset of the phone with erasing data.

I did as few settings as possible: no wireless, mail, ringtones, no apps from Google Play. Because it is my business phone I had to synchronize contacts and calendar with my Gmail account and pair it with my car’s Bluetooth hands free kit.

Today, I can tell that nothing has changes. Proximity issue remains. Frankly speaking I expected nothing but this. Just did it to be absolutely sure.

shill
Visitor

I have the same problem. It seems lots of related issues. At the same time as the proximity sensor fails then so does the screen rotation and the screen unlock function takes about 10 seconds. Bluetooth seemed to stop working also when in the middle of a call. The diagnostics showed the proximity sensor as failing.

I rebooted and the proximity sensor now works and so does all the othe functionality. Interesting to see how long it lasts.

Gikey
Visitor

At least, in your case, diagnostics showed the proximity sensor as failing.

With my phone diagnostics showed everything was right but in fact sensor wasn't working properly.

I'm not sure at the moment if Sony's ignorance in this matter is funny or embarrasing.

SONY. Is anybody here? We are still waing for your help. Your customers - people paying your salaries.

Golem
Visitor

I can confirm same problem. Must be software bug
Gikey
Visitor

@Golem wrote:
I can confirm same problem. Must be software bug

Maybe.

What makes you so sure this is a sofware bug?

Years/months ago I could say the same about flickering problem but it has never been fixed by any software update.

frantzouille
Visitor

I'm wondering if it could affect only one kind of devices. My xperia z1 compact is the black one. Anyone had problem in other colors?
wilpang20
Visitor

I've had the same problem as OP as when I answer the phone the screen does indeed go off but when I move phone away from my ear the screen sometimes does not come back on until I use the power button.

Doesn't happen all the time though...

A little annoying as I don't know if they have gone off or not.
DSeaman
Visitor

Same problem on the black device.

If the sensor passes the test, then dont worry - it is 100% software bug and can be easily fixed, by changing "proximity.delay" (the detail solution can be found in the net). 

BUT it needs root to be done. 

So I'll wait for an update first.

Gikey
Visitor

If it is a software bug it gives some hope.

I’m not really sure if it is just simple ‘delay’ parameter. Sometimes my phone behave as it should be (immediate screen wake up) but mostly it doesn’t.

On the other hand why Sony would change things in Z1Compact (delay parameter) which worked well in previous devices. Has anyone of you had proximity issue with other, previous Sony smartphones?

Nevertheless, I must tell you one funny thing I heard today.

Last week I sent an email with ‘proximity sensor issue’ problem to Sony – you can find on their webpage proper link ‘contact us’. Because there was no answer I called them today (I’m from Poland so I called to polish Sony department). There was a quite nice talk. I told everything once again, told that, according to me, problem has been well known since Z1 (they can read about it on their Sony forum), told everything I’ve done to test the phone. Person, I was talking to, agreed I’ve done everything I could and the only thing is to send the phone to the Sony’s Service.

I asked her (it was she) why this problem is still being unsolved if it has been known since a few months. She told me (and this is the best part) existence of this kind of problem with Sony’s phones is completely unknown to Sony. I’ve asked her what the Sony’s forums are for and from this point of view how she can claim it is unknown to Sony. She had no answer.

Maybe it is a simple to fix software bug but if Sony is not aware of that (however ridiculous and weird it sounds) they will never fix it.

I have a suggestion.

Let everyone of us write to Sony support on this forum, on their page wherever else and tell them about the problem. If it is so easy to fix then let them fix it.

I’m a very calm and patient person. I’m aware of software bugs, I know it takes time to fix it and I can wait. But I hate being ignored (probably everyone of us) and in this case I feel completely ignored by Sony.

I wonder to make this Sony case public. I’m working in one of the biggest media holdings in Poland. It is easy to me to talk with proper journalist.