Join now - be part of our community!

USB OTG Support

Fizz_daz
Visitor

USB OTG Support

<p>Does the x compact support otg... Having bought one and found out mhl is gone and it won't cast to my TV which has cut its use by half its now about to go in the bin as I can't now copy stuff to it like I could with my z3.</p>
23 REPLIES 23
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

Yes it does, just tested it.

Update: I've tested the Xperia X not the Xperia X Compact

Fizz_daz
Visitor

Mine does not seem to work. Specific organisations cable or through a micro USB to USB c adapter? Did it just plug and play?
Fizz_daz
Visitor

I know xperia x works but that is micro USB. This compact is turning into a brick and I got it for two years....
Delph84
Visitor

Hello, have you tried with the "Detect USB" option? 

It was the problem with the Z5 (Compact) : 

"u have to click "Detect USB" in quick menu  or go to settings device connection > USB > detect USB" 

Source : /t5/Xperia-Z5-Z5-Compact-Z5-Premium/Z5-OTG-support/td-p/1051921 

I'm also curious to know if OTG works on the X Compact because I'm interested in this phone but only if OTG is available... 

Fizz_daz
Visitor

That option not on compact x. The only option under USB is to install software on pc. Don't buy it mhl support gone as well so can't use it with my TV as it does not find it to cast to although my wifes Samsung does straight away. It is a brick. I have also found out the xperia pc software does not sync with outlook either making this phone with its software now useless to be honest.

Delph84
Visitor

I don't know if that can help but I found the user guide and there is some options in "Connectivity" :

http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/xperiaxcompact/userguide/ 

Also this  

"Connecting your device to USB accessories

You can use a USB Host adapter to connect your device to USB accessories such as a mass storage device or a mouse. If the USB device has a USB Type-C™ port, a USB Host adapter is not necessary. USB Host adapters are sold separately. Sony does not guarantee that all USB accessories are supported by your device." 

So apparently OTG is supported but maybe not MHL... 

Or maybe it's necessary to have a USB Type C OTG and not an adaptator micro USB > USB Type C...

Hope you'll get an answer about that. 

I still need to know if OTG works for USB Key or (micro) SD card... thanks

Delph84
Visitor

Sorry for the double post but I just saw a topic where it's confirmed that MHL is not supported on the X Compact : 

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-X-Compact/MHL-Support/m-p/1159735#U1159735 

Sorry if it was important for you 😕

Rickard
Master

Xperia X Compact does support USB Host. There's native support for HID, USB hub, USB mass storage and Audio. The phone also supports USB Host API.

I'm afraid i'm not sure if you can use an adaper and a OTG-cable for micro USB. You may need to purchase a OTG cable made for USB type C.

@scoobyfizz

If your TV supports Screen Mirroring (Miracast) you can use this to cast the phone screen. An alternative if the TV doesn't support this is to buy a Google Chromecast which you can also use to cast the phones screen to.

Delph84
Visitor

Thanks for your answer Slightly_smiling_Face 

It seems to make sense, I saw an adaptor USB Type C > micro USB on Amazon (from AUKEY) and in the description (and the comments) that it is not OTG capable... 

But there is also USB Type C OTG cable and they seem to work with tablets and smartphones... 

I'll tell you if it works when I buy this X Compact Slightly_smiling_Face