Join now - be part of our community!

Messaging not sending or receiving text

profile.country.en_GB.title
dalrasheed
Visitor

Messaging not sending or receiving text

Hi,
I have discovered that my Sony Xperia X Compact isn't receiving text messages and family and friends have reported that they're not receiving my messages. What could be the cause of this?

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@dalrasheed

Test your phone in >>> safe mode

Jonas
Master

Hi @dalrasheed,

I'm sorry to hear about that. Slightly_frowning_Face

How many of the text messages that you have sent to friends and family do you experience the behaviour with? Is most of them or for example, 1 out of 20 text messages?

If you open up the Messaging application > open a conversation with a message that has not been received by the counterpart > press and hold with your finger on the text > View message details > Status, what does it say here?

Was there any difference in safe mode which @uliwooly recommended?

If there is no difference in safe mode I'd recommend that you download another messaging application and see if you can send and receive all text messages in that app. My suggestion would be Google Messenger since it looks almost the same as our messaging application.

You can also try with another SIM card in your phone, if you can borrow one from a friend, colleague or family member and see if you then can send and receive text messages without any troubles.

Let me us know how it goes! Slightly_smiling_Face

dalrasheed
Visitor

So far this is what I have discovered. Sending and receiving text with an iPhone contact have both failed. With other phones sending was successful but receiving from them was not.
The safe mode didn't render any improvement. I used the Google Messanger, it didn't change anything.
Could it be the carrier? I'm using T-Mobile.

I don't use the SMS much, only for communicating with the office at times. Which has proven embarrassing of late.

This is exasperating.

But thank you all for your time and advice.
Jonas
Master

Thanks for the update.

Have you owned an iPhone before you bought your new phone? Since you can send but not receive SMS messages iMessage might still be activated on your number.

If that is the case, you can inactivate iMessage on the following link: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

Your carrier may also be able to restart the SMS service for you, otherwise I would recommend trying with another SIM card and see if you are still having the same troubles with sending and receiving SMS.

Keep me updated!

dalrasheed
Visitor

It turns out that the APN settings were missing for some odd reason. I managed to fill out the necessary fields and saved the settings. It's functional now. But why did such a thing happen to start with?

Thank you all
Jonas
Master

Thanks for the swift reply! Slightly_smiling_Face

I'm glad to hear that it's working now again, it's hard to say why the APN settings disappeared, hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Let me know if that should be the case or if there is anything else I can assist you with.

Have a great day and merry Christmas!

ndnjon
Visitor

I had same issue, and it was because my previous phone was an iPhone, so I put SIM card in the old iphone, turned off iMessages and FaceTime, and then reinstalled the SIM in my Xperia, and this solved it for me, thank you:smileyhappy:

Jonas
Master

Hi @ndnjon, you're very welcome! Slightly_smiling_Face

Let me know if there is anything else I may assist you with!

Christy1
Visitor

I am using the below mentioned Model of Sony Xperia Mobile and I am unable to send or receive SMS messages:

Model No.6.0.1

Baseband Version:

3.4.0 perf.gc14c2d5

Build No.

23.5.A.1.291

PLEASE HELP!