Join now - be part of our community!

400GB SD Card in Xperia X compact possible?

SOLVED
s3ta
Visitor

400GB SD Card in Xperia X compact possible?

Any "proof"/experiences that a 400GB sd card will work in my Sony Xperia compact?

I know the specs say "up to 256 GB" - but usually those max are the max size available at time of publishing the specs. 

Did anyone already try?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
s3ta
Visitor

Hi,

Those cards (SanDisk 400GB) were on sale @amaz... (<100 EUR). So I decided to "risk" it. (I expected that the worst thing to happen is I have to wait for a new mobile device to use it 😉 )

The card can be mounted !   \o/

ESFile Explorer shows me 366,76 GB - using a simple adapter my PC showed a little more - which, I assume is due to some conversion.

I can't tell anything about performance, yet... (I don't know how to compare to what).

My goal was to have my complete mp3 collection with me and it looks like I can do that.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

I'd bet it won't.

Tell us if it will.

Jonas
Master

Hi @s3ta,

The information that I have available for this is that the supported size of an SD card for Xperia devices that is stated in specifications or white paper is the size where quality and performance can be guaranteed. It may however be possible to use larger SD cards, but in such cases quality and performance cannot be guaranteed.

Unless someone on this forum has actually tested with a 400 GB SD card, it's very hard to say if it will work properly or not.

If there are any stores near you that sell 400 GB SD cards, you could ask them nicely if they have one that is unpacked that you can mount in your device, just to try and see if it works. This will of course only tell you if the SD card can be read by the device or not.

Let us know how it worked out for you, if you were able to test one in a store!

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

@Jonas

You are able to tell it comprehensivly and clear.

My compliments, as always.

s3ta
Visitor

Hi,

Those cards (SanDisk 400GB) were on sale @amaz... (<100 EUR). So I decided to "risk" it. (I expected that the worst thing to happen is I have to wait for a new mobile device to use it 😉 )

The card can be mounted !   \o/

ESFile Explorer shows me 366,76 GB - using a simple adapter my PC showed a little more - which, I assume is due to some conversion.

I can't tell anything about performance, yet... (I don't know how to compare to what).

My goal was to have my complete mp3 collection with me and it looks like I can do that.

Jonas
Master

Hi again @s3ta and I'm really glad to hear that it's working, time to enjoy that full collection of music on a single SD card!

There are no SD card tests in the device, but there should be some applications available in the Google Play store in case you want to compare the speeds between your new and old SD card.

I also have to say that you got a really good deal on the SD card. When I was looking for one, there was such a big difference in GB vs price for anything above 128 GB so I settled for one of them! Slightly_smiling_Face

Thanks a lot for getting back to us with how it worked and have an awesome day! Slightly_smiling_Face