Join now - be part of our community!

Z5 Compact with "Adaptive Brightness" generates color distortion when unlocking

SOLVED
SebastianD
Contributor

Z5 Compact with "Adaptive Brightness" generates color distortion when unlocking

Hi,

I'm having an issue with my Z5 Compact when unlocking the screen. (Specially in dark rooms). The colors are totally "washed" for a few seconds, until adaptive brightness starts to work. 

Sometimes in a dark room (like the bedroom) there is a 50% chance or more of this to happen.

To reproduce this: You need to use "adaptive brightness" under settings. And you need to unlock your phone a few times. I'd recommend you to do this using Tapatalk (Dark theme). 

Anyway,

I'm posting this because I've received an update yesterday from 32.0.A.4.11 to 32.0.A.5.32 and the issue is still here.

Should I replace my device? Or just wait for another firmware? 

Regards,

Sebastian. 

63 REPLIES 63
martinmrmus
Contributor

I can confirm that this issue still persists. not in such large scale, but still happens.

herasymcuk
Visitor

i can confirm too.

SebastianD
Contributor

@mrnino wrote:

I can confirm that this issue still persists. not in such large scale, but still happens.

This is the new (Marshmallow) version (and topic) of this bug:

/t5/Xperia-Z5-Z5-Compact-Z5-Premium/BUG-REPORT-with-VIDEO-Adaptive-Brightness-gamma-bug-Marshmallow/...

In my case it happens every time my phone's light sensor is under a lot of ambient light. (3-4 seconds after unlocking the screen). 

downfall
Visitor

I'm also facing this issue. I noticed it when I was about to answer a call outdoors, it took several seconds before the screen lit up properly so I could see who was calling. White Z5 Compact, latest firmware .185.

thedarkyellow
Visitor

Hi i have the same issue, i have the xperia z3+ dual im on android 6.0.1 and the issue is still here Slightly_frowning_Face 32.2.A.0.224
argie
Visitor

I just purchased the Z5 Compact.

I disabled "adaptive brightness" (which never worked satisfactorily on any phone I ever used), but the screen is completely washed out upon unlocking the phone.  This happens around 70% of the time.  It works OK after 3 or 4 seconds, but that is unacceptable.

I'm running Marshmallow 6.0.1, build 32.2.A.0.253,

argie
Visitor

Not true.

Android 6.0 did not solve the problem.  I have 6.0.1 and still have it, even with adaptive brightness turned off.

@Rickard wrote:

We have found the cause for this and it will be fixed in the update to Android 6.0.

argie
Visitor

I bought my Z5 Compact last week and immediately suffered this problem when unlocking the phone.

But after I suffered the first "screen washout" after unlocking, subsequent unlockings work OK, until the phone was off for quite a time.

This, and the fact that 6.0 did not fix the problem and Sony continues to ignore the users who complain repeatedly, lead me to believe the issue lies with a design or manufacturing error, not from a software bug.

If this is the case, Sony would face the possible replacement of thousands of units, thus the silence.

Can some technically qualified person add to this "theory" ?

Tinkywinky1
Visitor

The brightness of my phone keeps flickering, like a broken light bulb. Adaptive brightness is off. Is my phone broken? Help please
CameronT
Champion

Hi @Tinkywinky,

Welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your Z5. It's a strange one. Can you please test your phone in safe mode and see if the same thing happens?