Join now - be part of our community!

Z5 Compact with "Adaptive Brightness" generates color distortion when unlocking

SOLVED
SebastianD
Contributor

Z5 Compact with "Adaptive Brightness" generates color distortion when unlocking

Hi,

I'm having an issue with my Z5 Compact when unlocking the screen. (Specially in dark rooms). The colors are totally "washed" for a few seconds, until adaptive brightness starts to work. 

Sometimes in a dark room (like the bedroom) there is a 50% chance or more of this to happen.

To reproduce this: You need to use "adaptive brightness" under settings. And you need to unlock your phone a few times. I'd recommend you to do this using Tapatalk (Dark theme). 

Anyway,

I'm posting this because I've received an update yesterday from 32.0.A.4.11 to 32.0.A.5.32 and the issue is still here.

Should I replace my device? Or just wait for another firmware? 

Regards,

Sebastian. 

63 REPLIES 63
SebastianD
Contributor

@Rickard

Please, could you give us a clue about "when" are we receiving this fix? (I mean, when is the Marshmallow OTA landing)

I think we waited a long time with this terrible bug. Like more than 5 months with a broken auto-brightness. 

martinmrmus
Contributor

Yes, ETA of Marshmallow would be fine...

RobertoDS
Contributor

FIXED with MM 6

I can't believe

Damonlufc
Visitor

HI. I've recently switched from my broken z3 to a new Z5 compact. The only noticeable issue I'm having is my lock screen brightness. Weather is my sxreensaver or even my album art it's only very faint in the background, whereas on my z3 I remember it was alot more bold, the same as the regular homescreen wallpaper. Anybody know if I can get my lock screen to look more bold please? Many thanks.
dd23
Visitor

I have updated to Android 6 a couple of days ago via an OTA update. I'm on version 32.1.A.1.163 now.

However, the issue still exists if I turn on Auto-Brightness. Slightly_frowning_Face

adamlee2014
Contributor

I can confirm the bug still exists marshmallow Slightly_frowning_Face
janguita

On Z5 "standard" the problem is fixed with Marshmallow.

SebastianD
Contributor

@Rickard wrote:

We have found the cause for this and it will be fixed in the update to Android 6.0.

Rickard the bug is still present in Marshmallow.

Now it doesn't occurs when you unlock your device. (Like in Lollipop).

It happens a few seconds after you unlock the display (when adaptive brightness change the brightness based on the current light sensor value) I have been able to reproduce this issue in daylight outdoors using a dark color app. I saved a bug report. Send me a PM so I can share it to you. 

SebastianD
Contributor

I gave up and purchased Lux auto brightness. Anyone know how to proper calibrate this for the Z5C? I've been using Lux for a week, it's not bad. But come one Sony....fix Android auto brightness once and for all. There is no way people will buy a future sony flagship if their previous one had bugs like this.

It's better than it was in LL. But still not stable in MM. Never had an issue like this in any other Android device. This is some weird code in Xperia firmwares that is dirty and affecting this standard and stable Android function!
dd23
Visitor

The bug is *still* there in 32.1.A.1.185

Seriously Sony, are you even trying?