Join now - be part of our community!

Notifications not Working When Phone in Sleep Mode

SOLVED
macshimi
Visitor

Notifications not Working When Phone in Sleep Mode

Hi

I took delivery of my Z3 Compact last month and overall it is fine. It is completely standard, out-of-the-box, with no Apps that affect the system.

I have found a very annoying issue with the Notifications sound when the phone is in sleep mode, ie the screen completely black either due to the time-out function or when I press the round power button.

The problem is that no notifications come through; if I am expecting a work email, I constantly have to wake the phone up and as soon as the lock screen appears, so do the notifications.

How do I get the phone to always send a notification sound, even when in sleep mode.

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
pgregan
Visitor

I have still the very similar maybe same issue. On my Z3C the notification are not shown if i am on mobile data. If i switch the wifi on, then all notification working fine.
profile.country.fr_FR.title
faubry
New

Hello,
I think I have finally found a solution on my Xperia M2 recently updated To KitKat 4.4.4.
Indeed, in the "Settings", "Power Management", "Stamina mode" menu, then in the "Enabled" section the default value is set to 100 %. Reducing the threshold to something like 30 % could solve m'y issue.

Fred
RNmakuia
Visitor

I'm having the same issue with my M5. It seems a bit ridculous that no one has come up with a real solutiob here so far. No sony support!?
RNmakuia
Visitor

Even with stamina mode off I'm still having trouble with notifications on sleep mode. Any other solutions?
Shanmugavel4
Visitor

Hi.. I'm using aqua m4 dual model.. After upgrade to marshmallows when I'm using whatsapp call, after done that call then the notification sounds it couldn't be working vibration only working sometime it is also not working.. And then I called to Xperia help line, they said restart.. I restarted it... After restarting notification sound is working for minutes of time only.. Then again that issue has been occur... I really disappointed for that issue... Because I bought this mobile before 6months only.. So kindly please help to resolve this problem... This all are happening in without stamina mode..
ToniKH
Visitor

These notification problems are a well known problem caused by Androids Doze mode. Doze mode was introduced in Android Marshmallow and after that there has been all kinds of problems with all kinds of Android phones. Sony Xperia is no different from that.

The worst problem in my opinion is that gmail notifications are only normal priority by default. Doze mode does not allow these get through until the phone wakes up by user or by maintenance window. This can take even several hours. Unfortunately there is nothing the user can do about it since there is no way to turn the Doze mode off and whitelisting does not change the priority of the notifications.

People are having problems also with high priority notifications, because there is a bug in Googles gcm service. This makes push notifications very unreliable with Android phones starting with Marshmallow.

Some other manufacturers have now started giving their users a SWITCH that can turn the problematic doze mode OFF, if the user so wishes. If someone from Sony's development team reads this:

PLEASE, give us Xperia users this choice. ADD a SWITCH that turns Doze mode OFF. This can be hidden in developer options, I don't care. Just give us the OPTION, please!

If anyone is interested, there is a really long thread in the OnePlus -forum about these issues. I cannot add the link here since my message gets automatically deleted after that. Just google "OnePlus push notifications issues". No need to read the whole thread, all essential things are starting from page 105 or so. OnePlus is the manufacturer that has now decided to add the Doze switch. Sony, PLEASE DO THE SAME!

There is also a way for the user to disable the doze mode by himself. That can be found from pages 107-109 or something like that. But this needs some hacking with ADB commands and things like that. You also need to run a certain script at every boot. I have tested this and it works with Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. A clean, official switch would still be a much better solution.

Tags (2)