Join now - be part of our community!

WiFi problem.

gazmix8
Visitor

WiFi problem.

Hi 

When I connect to WiFi via EE brightbox, the 2 up and down arrows on phone hold solid next to the WiFi icon and the Internet and wireless icon on router flash fast.

The speed test drops from 6mbps to 0.5 and the same on phone speed test. 

BT have been round, reset the banding profile and done work at the exchange also a brand new EE brightbox and was OK for a while but in last day its back to how was.

I'm wondering if its the phone as it happened again using the cloud in a pub. 

Help appreciated 

8 REPLIES 8
pseudonym
Contributor

Since the problem appears to happen using more than one WiFi access point, you might first start by clearing network preferences:

(Have any required wifi passwords available before you do this)

Settings > Network & Internet > (upper right menu) Reset network settings

gazmix8
Visitor

OK I'll try this however it says it also resets mobile network settings, will this affect my mobile data?.

pseudonym
Contributor

I'm not sure. You should probably copy your APN settings, unless your carrier will automatically send them to you. Do you remember if this happened when you first started using the phone on the network (possibly by text message)?

gazmix8
Visitor

It happened a few weeks back when I got latest software update and connected to WiFi. Its been OK today up to now but could go back anytime.. 

How do I do that with settings?

Cheers 

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

You cannot go back to an earlier software version.

What you can do is once more reset WiFi settings.

You can also test if the problem happens in safe mode.

If it doesn't happen in safe mode then it is most likely that an app is causing trouble.

pseudonym
Contributor

If you reset network settings, it will be as if your phone has not connected to Wi-Fi, mobile network, or Bluetooth devices before and you'll have to re-enter information for all of them. So perhaps try safe mode first, as suggested above.

gazmix8
Visitor

Because it happens irregularly, there's no way of isolating the problem. Both the pub WiFi and where my pc is, the problem has been fine since midday today.

The BT engineer said that after he reset the banding profile and did work at the BT green box I think, he said it'd take a week or so to regulate. 

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

On many problems that occur it is hard to find the exact cause of the problem and it takes long to find out what causes it.

Many visitors have found out that a software repair resolved their problems.

Maybe it can help you out too.