Join now - be part of our community!

USB Type-C to microUSB adapter, which works for audio input?

SOLVED
MiRin
Visitor

USB Type-C to microUSB adapter, which works for audio input?

I'm faced with the challenge of connecting an iRig Pro Duo audio interface to an Xperia X Compact.

Pro Duo has iRig's proprietary miniDIN connector (looks like SVHS). They don't seem to have a Type-C cable available yet, so I would have to use an adapter to connect to their current microUSB cable.

The problem is that for most adapters one can find comments both for and against OTG support. For audio input to an Xperia X Compact using a specific adapter I haven't come across any xperiences so far. Has anyone tested that a specific adapter either works or doesn't work for audio input?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MiRin
Visitor

I'm finally in position to answer my question. The short summaries are:

Yes: X Compact can be used for USB audio recordings (with the iRig Pro Duo).

No: Not with the regular audio drivers, not with (at least the Xiaomi) USB-C microUSB adapters. If you need the audio interface for anything else than audio recordings, use some other hardware.

The longer version is:

Using the Type-A adapter from Google and batteries in the Pro Duo (for power supply), the lights in the audio interface turn on and the phone recognises it. On the USB connectivity menu it offers an option of "USB Midi", but the selection doesn't seem to stay on. I didn't test extensively, as I had no MIDI sw for the X Compact and I wasn't planning on using MIDI. No audio from the interface is seen by any regular software (Sony audio recorder, iRig audio recorder, Amplitube Free etc.).

ExtreamSD has some "special instructions for Sony devices" mentioning Z5 specifically, but following the instructions I didn't find the "button to detect USB device" on the X Compact. Either that menu is gone, or I just didn't find it.

I installed the USB Audio Tester from Google Play. Some sound came through, but with periodic noise bursts, which made it unusable. I could change the periodicity and length of the noise bursts with audio buffer parameters, but I didn't manage to make it go away entirely. Depressing.

Next, I proceeded to shell out the cash for the USB Audio Recorder PRO. This worked like a charm, from the very beginning. Kudos to eXtream for writing a driver, which works! They also have a multitrack recorder running on the same driver, but I didn't need it yet, so haven't tested it on the X Compact.

The USB-C to USB-A adapter cable from Google turned out to be manufactured by Foxconn. No problem with that, but my son bought the same adapter in the same Foxconn bag from dx.com for a fraction of the Google price. The choice is yours. 🙂

As the iRig Pro Duo also comes with a micro USB cable, I tried with a Xiaomi-made USB-C micro USB adapter. Even though the audio interface had it's own power supply, not even the lights came on in the Pro Duo when connected and I couldn't get any sign of life out of it, even with the USB Audio Recorder PRO. So, at least with this micro USB adapter, no way.

The end result is that I can make (and play back) USB audio recordings with an X Compact and an audio interface. This is nice, but what is not so good, is that USB audio is only working with the driver from one individual developer. As the driver is not generic, I cannot use USB audio with any other software, e.g. video recordings or audio effects (e.g. Amplitube, which iRig advertises with their audio interface).

The unfortunate final verdict is that if you want to generically use a USB audio interface for any purpose, a computer, an iOS device or a phone supporting "Samsung Professional Audio" is needed. For USB audio recordings, X Compact with a 5€ extra investment on software is fine.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.PH.title
MarlonUk1
Expert

I think its best to test the adapters before buying, I mean if there are stores near you that have a test product..

MiRin
Visitor

@nolramlb wrote:

I think its best to test the adapters before buying, I mean if there are stores near you that have a test product..

Sure, but one physical store will have 1-3 models and I've understood that if I just randomly plug in off-the-shelf Type-C adapters, I may end up frying some of my ports in the process.

Meanwhile, I've tried to do more of my homework. iRig support replied that they have successfully used this VicTsing adapter (as well as this Type-A adapter and this cable) with the Pro Duo. The same VicTsing adapter is available on other-language Amazons as well as e.g. Gearbest. The answer from iRig support was general, not specific to the X Compact.

The next problem is that Benson Leung, the nr. 1 USB-C test authority on the planet, only gave the VicTsing adapter 2/5 stars and doesn't recommend it. It is of course possible that VicTsing have updated their product after the test - many manufacturers have - but Benson has re-reviewed many other updated products and I couldn't find an updated review for VicTsing, so I'm not going to buy that one.

In another discussion on a 5-star microUSB adapter Benson notes that "OTG adapters like the one you are thinking about are not spec compliant and would never get my recommendation". These two statements together:

1) iRig has successfully used their audio interface with a 2/5-star microUSB adapter

2) In different reviews Benson Leung has repeatedly stated that microUSB adapters are charging and data transfer, but not OTG compliant.

...leads me to understand that OTG compliance is not necessary for using an audio interface? I think I originally got the idea, because the info on the driver of Audio Evolution Mobile talks so much about OTG and host mode compliance, but perhaps data transfer is enough?

The only thing that I can find Benson (a Google engineer 🙂 recommend for OTG is this Type-A adapter (from Google store :-). I forgot from my original post that I also do have the Type-A option, also that cable is included with the Pro Duo. I'm planning to go with that Type-A adapter and a couple of Xiaomi microUSB adapters (they got 5/5 from Benson, are cheap and available close by). In a couple of weeks I should know what worked and what didn't.

MiRin
Visitor

I'm finally in position to answer my question. The short summaries are:

Yes: X Compact can be used for USB audio recordings (with the iRig Pro Duo).

No: Not with the regular audio drivers, not with (at least the Xiaomi) USB-C microUSB adapters. If you need the audio interface for anything else than audio recordings, use some other hardware.

The longer version is:

Using the Type-A adapter from Google and batteries in the Pro Duo (for power supply), the lights in the audio interface turn on and the phone recognises it. On the USB connectivity menu it offers an option of "USB Midi", but the selection doesn't seem to stay on. I didn't test extensively, as I had no MIDI sw for the X Compact and I wasn't planning on using MIDI. No audio from the interface is seen by any regular software (Sony audio recorder, iRig audio recorder, Amplitube Free etc.).

ExtreamSD has some "special instructions for Sony devices" mentioning Z5 specifically, but following the instructions I didn't find the "button to detect USB device" on the X Compact. Either that menu is gone, or I just didn't find it.

I installed the USB Audio Tester from Google Play. Some sound came through, but with periodic noise bursts, which made it unusable. I could change the periodicity and length of the noise bursts with audio buffer parameters, but I didn't manage to make it go away entirely. Depressing.

Next, I proceeded to shell out the cash for the USB Audio Recorder PRO. This worked like a charm, from the very beginning. Kudos to eXtream for writing a driver, which works! They also have a multitrack recorder running on the same driver, but I didn't need it yet, so haven't tested it on the X Compact.

The USB-C to USB-A adapter cable from Google turned out to be manufactured by Foxconn. No problem with that, but my son bought the same adapter in the same Foxconn bag from dx.com for a fraction of the Google price. The choice is yours. 🙂

As the iRig Pro Duo also comes with a micro USB cable, I tried with a Xiaomi-made USB-C micro USB adapter. Even though the audio interface had it's own power supply, not even the lights came on in the Pro Duo when connected and I couldn't get any sign of life out of it, even with the USB Audio Recorder PRO. So, at least with this micro USB adapter, no way.

The end result is that I can make (and play back) USB audio recordings with an X Compact and an audio interface. This is nice, but what is not so good, is that USB audio is only working with the driver from one individual developer. As the driver is not generic, I cannot use USB audio with any other software, e.g. video recordings or audio effects (e.g. Amplitube, which iRig advertises with their audio interface).

The unfortunate final verdict is that if you want to generically use a USB audio interface for any purpose, a computer, an iOS device or a phone supporting "Samsung Professional Audio" is needed. For USB audio recordings, X Compact with a 5€ extra investment on software is fine.

MiRin
Visitor

A quick return to this, after all the Oreo updates (now on build 34.4.A.2.32):

1) Plugging the iRig Pro Duo (with batteries) to the phone over the Foxconn USB-C <-> USB-A adapter the interface powers up, monitoring leds work and direct monitoring correctly echoes the input. USB menu dialogue doesn't pop up by default, but it is available in the system notification tray.

2) Sony's audio recorder gets stuck at recording (without actually doing anything) and playback.

3) USB audio recorder pro still works great!

4) Deplike (a guitar modelling package) is now completely spaced out. After a reboot and several connect-disconnect cycles I managed to get some sound through for a few seconds. After that it rebooted itself. I haven't tried Deplike for a long time (used to have unbearable delay for any playing), so I don't know whether this is a problem in the updates of Deplike or Android. Anyway, time to uninstall that too.

5) iRig Audio Recorder Free only sees the "Built-in Mic" as an audio source, but doesn't get any audio from it after their Pro Duo interface is plugged in.

6) iRig Audio Recorder 3 is marketed as being the perfect companion for their (iRig's) audio interfaces. If I start the application with the audio interface connected, it gets stuck at startup and never starts. After starting without the audio interface, built-in microphone input works fine, but as soon as I plugin the interface, audio input is gone. No setting to switch to the audio interface. So much for that, too.

Unfortunately the situation still is that for any work on audio getting an iOS device is a much safer bet.