Join now - be part of our community!

Unresponsive screen when making or receiving a call :(

SOLVED
Sunflora
Visitor

Unresponsive screen when making or receiving a call :(

Hi, new to the Sony world but got my new Sony Xperia X Compact last week but I've found that when I make or receive a call my screen goes blank so when I need to go through an automated system answering call it's impossible Slightly_frowning_Face Is it something that I'm doing wrong? Love the phone itself but can't cope with this...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Emir1
Hero

Hi @Sunflora,

As @Quester mentioned, there is a sensor located at the top of your device to the right of the SONY-logo, it's called a proximity sensor and its purpose is to detect your ear during a call. Once your ear is detected, the display should go dark so that you don't accidentally hang up the call with your cheek, as an example. If the display goes dark instantly when you initiate a call, even without the sensor next to your ear, then there could be something which disturbs the sensor.

Do you happen to have any display protectors or covers mounted on your device? I recommend that you try removing these to see if that helps, as a screen protector could be mounted slightly off center so that it covers the sensor and causes the display to turn black. In addition, please try to make sure that the sensor area is clean of dirt and dust as well.

If it persists, you can test the sensors functionality by using Diagnostics found under Settings > About phone > Diagnostics > Test > Ear proximity, how does it behave in this test? Does it vibrate all the time, or only when you cover the sensor?

If it only vibrates when you cover the sensor, then it works as it should and I suggest trying to see if the same occurs while in safe mode to see if there could be any third party apps causing what you're experiencing.

Try that at first and let me know how it went! If one of the suggested troubleshooting steps helped, feel free to kudo this post and mark it as the accepted solution so that other users facing the same can find the post. smile happy

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.US.title
Qatrium
Expert

@Sunflora

Do you have a screen protector or cover installed that might be blocking the proximity sensor area? 

Emir1
Hero

Hi @Sunflora,

As @Quester mentioned, there is a sensor located at the top of your device to the right of the SONY-logo, it's called a proximity sensor and its purpose is to detect your ear during a call. Once your ear is detected, the display should go dark so that you don't accidentally hang up the call with your cheek, as an example. If the display goes dark instantly when you initiate a call, even without the sensor next to your ear, then there could be something which disturbs the sensor.

Do you happen to have any display protectors or covers mounted on your device? I recommend that you try removing these to see if that helps, as a screen protector could be mounted slightly off center so that it covers the sensor and causes the display to turn black. In addition, please try to make sure that the sensor area is clean of dirt and dust as well.

If it persists, you can test the sensors functionality by using Diagnostics found under Settings > About phone > Diagnostics > Test > Ear proximity, how does it behave in this test? Does it vibrate all the time, or only when you cover the sensor?

If it only vibrates when you cover the sensor, then it works as it should and I suggest trying to see if the same occurs while in safe mode to see if there could be any third party apps causing what you're experiencing.

Try that at first and let me know how it went! If one of the suggested troubleshooting steps helped, feel free to kudo this post and mark it as the accepted solution so that other users facing the same can find the post. smile happy

Sunflora
Visitor

Thank you so much, yes I purchased a screen protector for my phone at the weekend and now that you've mentioned the detector I see that I have inadvertently covered it. Thank you again Slightly_smiling_Face
Emir1
Hero

Ah, that's an easy mistake to make - but I am happy to hear that it's been resolved! Feel free to let me know should there be anything else which I may assist you with Sunflora! Slightly_smiling_Face

khairul_rafie
Visitor

My xperia xa does the same things during making or receiving a call. the problem starts after it upgrade to android 7 last night. it was not the problem of light sensor but the front camera. the problem solved when i close the front camera with my finger. but when i pull of my finger, the problem comes. i thought it was some kind of software problem after the update. please help me. 

Qrandel
Visitor

I have been having this issue consistently for months. I do NOT have a screen protector on my phone. This issue really hinders making calls. The ear proximity test fails, both during regular mode and safe mode (as suggested in this forum topic thread) .  What should I try next ? 

Emir1
Hero

Hi @Qrandel, I am sorry to hear about that. Slightly_frowning_Face

Could you also try to see if the same occurs while in safe mode? If so, then I am sorry to say that there are only drastic measures left. First would be a software repair using Xperia Companion, in order to see if it could be software related.

If the above troubleshooting steps do not help, then I am sorry to say that it would be best to have a technician at an authorized service center have a look at it for you. In order to have your device sent in, you can contact your Local support in order to be assisted as they are well informed in regards to warranty terms, local consumer laws and service routines for your market.

@khairul_rafie Do you mean that you physically need to press over the front camera area in order to have the sensor working? If so, I would recommend having the device sent to service - please see the instructions just above.