Join now - be part of our community!

SIM card not detected after OTA upgrade to 34.4.A.2.85 (Oreo), please help!

JayEffPee
Visitor

SIM card not detected after OTA upgrade to 34.4.A.2.85 (Oreo), please help!

Hi friends,

I've just upgraded my Sony X Compact (F5321) to latest Android 8.0.0, version 34.4.A.2.85, via OTA, and SIM card is not detected anymore. I've tried to restart the phone several times, also tried to stop "Xperia Assist" app (it was not stopped). I have removed the SIM card and re-inserted, and no solution. SIM card is still not detected. Does anybody solved this ? preferably not doing a Factory Reset. Thanks a lot in advance for an urgent reply. I work with the phone.

24 REPLIES 24
pseudonym
Contributor

As I mentioned to you on XDA, you could try a thin shim on the back of the SIM card, cut precisely to its shape and applied to the SIM with a miniscule amount of superglue. It might be that the metal phone contacts just barely touch the SIM. Is it more likely to work at either warm or cold temperatures? If so, that might be a hint.

JayEffPee
Visitor

Thanks for the tip, but why this occured exactly after the firmware upgrade? as you may see in this thread, I'm not the only one with this issue. It´s hard to believe that this was a hardware issue that led to a lazy or space between phone contacts and SIM Card, at the same time of the update, do you agree?

pseudonym
Contributor

Yes, I agree. That's why I suggest you try downgrading first to the previous version of the firmware (...70).  Ther easiest way to do this is using flashtool, which includes a service that willl download the firmware you request. As mentioned, you do not need any sort of unlocked bootloader or root, etc. If anything goes wrong, you can use Xperia Companion to reset (to whatever version you currently have installed on the phone). If you have already done this sort of thing before, then you know how straightforward it is. If not, there are youtube videos which demonstrate the procedure.

Tadakuni
Visitor

This seems like a problem with the update , you could try to go to 'apps' under settings then 'all' and clear data / force stop any app sim card related , a simillar problem occured to me after repairing using xperia companion with playstore download , now everytime i factory reset my phone i have to clear data for download manager 

Don't know if this is the problem but it might work 

Tadakuni
Visitor

If what i mentioned previously doesn't do the trick then this may help...

/t5/Xperia-X-Compact/The-phone-doesn-t-recognize-the-SIM-card/td-p/1262851#gref

JayEffPee
Visitor

Hi,

my phone is bootloader-locked. I believed that Flashtool only works with unlocked phones. Which version of Flashtool do you have that allows you to also download the stock ROM version you prefer and install it without unlocking bootloader? please, provide software download link if you can.

Even the phone is working now, I will keep that in mind in case of the "SIM card not detected" issue is back.

thanks in adcvance 

pseudonym
Contributor

Bought a second Xperia X Compact for a family member, and it has the same problem as yours had. In my case I did reflash with a slightly earlier firmware (...70 rather than ...85), and the problem persists. I also tried using a single paper's thickness as a shim, applied to the back of the Sim card. Nothing has worked, so the phone is being returned. I wouldn't be surprised if the problem is a bad batch of phones, or perhaps a flaw in the design which makes this problem more common than it should be.

JayEffPee
Visitor

Hi, the issue is really random and strange. I have aplied scotch tape (3 layers) to the SIM card, and It started working for 2 days. I had to reboot the phone since Android Auto icon (Google Play Services) is stuck in notification bar and its not detected by the car anymore (another Sony bug?). After the reboot, the SIM card is not detected again.. I'm really lost. I will try to take the phone to local Sony service in Buenos Aires tomorrow. Hope they will help me. I hope also that Sony release a new Android upgrade soon and it will fix this issue (at least only because of a firmware change).

JayEffPee
Visitor

I have called Sony and they don´t want to check my phone, since it was bought in a different country, and Sony warranty and service are for local phones only (no comments...)

I have asked another support service with high experience, and while talking about the issue, I discovered, that in fact, the SIM card is "initially" not detected, after some minutes, the SIM card is detected, but there is no signal (only empty signal icon is show and "no SIM card" message dissapeared). Hence, It seems that is not a SIM card reader or hardware issue. It should be a firmware issue. have any of you got a reply from Sony regarding a new patch update or any official reply? Thanks

pseudonym
Contributor

I ended up with two X Compacts that seem to function reliably: they are both light blue, revision 3, made in Thailand, for what that's worth. The boxes also have the series "SI 1304-6848", if that's any indication. Of the other recent XCs I tried, one had a bad (distorted) left speaker, and the other had a SIM card problem, although in that case it never once recognized the presence of the SIM at all.