Join now - be part of our community!

Problem with Proximity Sensor (switch)

DavidCollins
Visitor

Problem with Proximity Sensor (switch)

I have a problem with my proximity switch.. When exposed to bright light,(for example during the day) the proximity switch turns itself on thus making phone calls become a rather hard hustle. Hanging up a call becomes a problem and it becomes practically impossible activate the dial pad during an in call, because the screen goes blank. Any way to fix this? When indoors with relative room light, it works perfectly. My model is an Xperia X (F5122) 

3 REPLIES 3
CameronT
Champion

Hi @DavidCollins, Welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear about this Slightly_frowning_Face 

The most common cause of the issue you are experiencing is that a case, film or screen protector is covering this sensor.

All Xperia devices have a protection film which is a thin transparent adhesive film that covers the touchscreen when you first buy it. When the protection film is on, it covers the proximity sensor which is placed on top of the phone beside the ear speaker.

If you have a screen protector or case you have put on the phone or you have left the protection film on the phone we would first advise to remove these and test the device either on a call or through the diagnostics.

To check the Proximity sensor functionality with Diagnostics:
1. From your Home screen, tap the Applications screen icon.
2. Find and tap Settings > About phone > Diagnostics.
3. Tap Test device > Ear Proximity/Ear Sensor.
4. Tap Test then cover the top of your screen (around the Sony logo) with your hand.

If the phone vibrates only when the phone is being covered but stops when it is not covered this indicates the sensor is working correctly.

If the phone either vibrates constantly or not at all this indicated that something is causing the sensor to not respond correctly.

If the sensor fails the test once any cases, films or screen protectors are removed I would next advise to perform a software repair using Xperia Companion on your handset as this is likely to resolve any issues you are experiencing.

anthony_lrk89
Visitor

Hi, CameronT!

I am having similar case on my Xperia XZ as well. I did tried to diagnos the sensor and looks like the illustration is not changing after cover the area above the display. I did repair the firmware with XC, but it still the same. Would this caused by faulty proximity sensor?

Please advise.

Without Safe ModeWithout Safe Mode

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

You mean you don't have a switch from green to blue?

Because the illustration is not changing, just the colour behind the ear illustration.