Join now - be part of our community!

How to rename a picture on Xperia X Compact ?

Mag_93
Visitor

I'm using the '' Album'' apps, installed on the phone, I found the way to move pictures and videos, create files and folders... But no way to give a name to the pictures I took. 

Does someone have a solution? 

I don't really want to download a new apps, but if there is no other choice, I will 😞

Thanks

Mag

5 REPLIES 5
ChloeS
Contributor

Hi @Mag_93,

Welcome to the community Grinning_Face_with_smiling_Eyes

Unfortunately you cannot rename picture files directly from the native album application on your handset. Do you have File Commander installed on your device? If so, you can use that application to rename your picture files.

Alternatively the other option unfortunately would be finding another application via the Google Play Store to perform this function for you.

Feel free to let me know if you need further help with this :smileysmileywink:

allure
Visitor

An app called "Downloads" is actually a file browsing tool that can be used to rename files, among other things. There is no need to download a seperate file browsing tool for basic functionality and I hope SONY addresses this issue to present this fact to the users.

This should be a solution for your problem. Slightly_smiling_Face

ChloeS
Contributor

Hi @allure,

The preinstalled "Downloads" app doesn't actually allow you to rename picture files on the device as far as I'm aware.

You can navigate to pictures within the separate folders they are stored in but the option to rename the files is greyed out and can't be selected.

You can however use this app to rename downloaded files on your device Slightly_smiling_Face

allure
Visitor

Hi @ChloeS (btw., how do you use tags on these forums?),

I just tried it on my phone to be sure and, luckily for the clients, you are wrong...

Try this:
1) Open "Downloads"
2) Touch the three horizontal stripes in the upper left corner
3) Touch "F5321" or whatever device name you have
4) Browse folders as you would with a regular file browser (i.e. "DCIM"->"100ANDRO" for camera images now)
5) Tap and hold on an image to select it
6) Tap the three vertical dots in the upper right corner
7) Select "Rename" and do it.

There you go, images (and other files-folders) can be renamed.
As said earlier, the "Downloads" app works as a file browser and SONY should make it a true file browser with the correct name and its' startup view as what comes up when you touch the three horizontal stripes in the upper left corner.

If SONY wants users to have easy access to their downloads folder, a shortcut to "Downloads" could direct to the "Downloads" section of the file browser app.

LukisRO
Visitor

I have 2 Sony phones (X Compact and XA1) and one Sony camera. As I was unable to change the photo's names, I was readind several posts here. There was one idea to look for a solution in PlayMemories. Here is what I found. I was saving all my photos from 3 sources in 1 directory (ex.: 2018-06-22 Holiday). Using PlayMemories in standard view, it was showing the photos by name, depending on how many pictures you've took with your phones and camera (wife's phone all photos, than my phone all photos and the camera one's at the end). If you go on top of the photo's screen in PlayMemories, there is a small option bar (Thumbnails, Details, ...), click on Calendar view and you'll get all the pictures by the date and time they were taken, mixing all 3 sources together. This can be a partial solution, if you are looking to your pictures with PlayMemories, till Sony will finally allow us to use the names we would like (date/time).