Join now - be part of our community!

GPS lock issue: temporary workaround

sjanzeir
Visitor

GPS lock issue: temporary workaround

Hello everyone,

I've been having an issue with GPS on my X Compact for a few days now. I use GPS Essentials to record tracks regularly for outdoor exercising. The app used to be able to locate and lock on to satellites in a few seconds; now it just displays which satellites are visible (gray,) but won't lock on to any (blue) or use any of them to triangulate and pinpoint the device's location (green.) Also, neither Google Maps nor Google Earth will locate the device without "High Accuracy" mode, rather than Device Only, being set in the device's location settings.

Restarting the device will not resolve the issue most of the time, and even if it does, the issue will soon reappear.

The only workaround (albeit a temporary one) that I found is to manually purge GPS assistance data before using any GPS app in Device Only mode. Here's how:

1. Open the dialer.

2. In the phone number pane, type *#*#7378423#*#*

3. In the Service Menu that appears, tap Service Tests.

4. Scroll down to and tap GPS.

5. Tap Purge Assistance Data.

6. Tap GPS Location Test to verify that satellite lock is working again (you should see location data after a few seconds.)

7. Now you may use the GPS app of your choice.

Unfortunately, you have to do this every time the phone fails to lock on to GPS satellites, no matter what GPS-based app you happen to be using. Obviously, this needs to be addressed in the next software update (my device is running Android Oreo version 34.4.A.2.50).

1 REPLY 1
Zx4
Visitor

I had the same problem which starts about near one month ago. Anybody, have an issue?