Join now - be part of our community!

dual band issue

Ajmsouth
Visitor

dual band issue

Any help appreciated.
Since upgrading to 8.0.0 I have noticed that when a network has the same SSID for 2.4/5GHz it will often choose 2.4G over 5.
Furthermore it used to shift up to 5GHz when moving closer to the access point which it no longer does.
Is this a common thing with 8.0.0 (or this version on this particular device) and is there anything I can do about it?
3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

In fact the answer is already included in your question.

2.4 has a better ability to pass through walls, so it is normal that your device will choose 2.4, the best connection.

By giving the networks different names (ending on 24 and 50 for example)

you can make a positive choice and not let your device decide.

Ajmsouth
Visitor

I Have a good understanding of the penetration of different frequency bands however this is a software issue.  Before migration to 8.0.0 the device would always connect to the 5G band if the signal was strong enough and 2.4 if not.  Once 5GHz was in range it would normally reconnect to the 5GHz band.  

Now I can connect to the network whilst standing directly next to the AP and still only get 2.4GHz and even after leaving after a length of time it will still sit on the same one.

This is an issue because many places I visit have congestion on the 2.4GHz band and I am unable to force it to 5.

No other device I have has this issue including my old D6503 on 6.x.x.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

OK you're right.

Your observation is correct I suppose.

What remains the problem.

These congestions?

Do you need 5G?

Can't you rely on 2.4G?

Why go on public WiFi anyway.

Personally I would not trust a public network and use the mobile network.

Frankly I don't have need for speed abroad.