Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia P - one more case of battery drain

SOLVED
john_k
Visitor

Xperia P - one more case of battery drain

My phone doesn't last half a day on battery Crying_Face It spends 95% of time in standby mode with all data transfer off (other 5% are phone calls), I don't use internet, don't watch videos or play games etc, network type selection stays in "GSM only". But the battery is being sucked out very quickly nevertheless.

Today afternoon I've charged the phone until Phone Status said the battery was "Full" (and indicator of course was at 100%), but percentage was decreasing quickly througout the day, and on the evening I've experienced a sudden drop from ~40% to 0 and the phone turned off.

Here are the screenshots of the power usage statistics:

Screenshot_2013-05-05-22-49-07.png

Screenshot_2013-05-05-22-49-23.png

Android OS is taking up 42% and I can't get rid of that. I've removed or disabled weather widget, news widget and all the stuff I don't use (Mail, all Google social services, antivirus etc). I've tried repairing the phone with SUS three times, but no luck.

My phone software version is 6.2.A.0.400, Android version is 4.1.2.

What else should I try to keep the phone to last longer?? I'm completely stuck now Anguished_Face

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

try this

I know you've done something similar but try it

1st repair your phone with SUS

2nd uninstall mcafee

3rd do NOT install any app

4th do not set up your wifi, keep it off

5th let your phone idle for couple of hours and see if your battery drops again

Don't forget to mark the Correct Answers & Helpful Answers

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

try this

I know you've done something similar but try it

1st repair your phone with SUS

2nd uninstall mcafee

3rd do NOT install any app

4th do not set up your wifi, keep it off

5th let your phone idle for couple of hours and see if your battery drops again

Don't forget to mark the Correct Answers & Helpful Answers

jamiee22
Visitor

You might need to try to replace the battery. It is fairly easy to access and this may be the issue of part of.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Ericsson-Xperia-Kumquat-Nyphon/dp/B002NEBDRU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=13...

Samuel1
Hero

I don't think replacing the battery is a good idea in this case, as it's clearly something in the OS that's acting up. Follow the tips from Uli above.

john_k
Visitor

Hello again!

Thanks for the feedback, it was really helpful. Uli, I followed your advice and Android OS power consumption dropped to 4%!

As I moved on with the experiments, I found out that when I switch network type to "GSM only" Android OS consumption raises again up to those tremendous numbers, and if I leave it in default "WCDMA/GSM", all goes fine. It's strange - the mode that was designed to save power actually consumes it.

For all those who experience the same problem - try to EXACTLY follow uliwooly's advice (i.e. don't touch anything after you've uninstalled McAfee) and only then enable your features and change settings one-by-one constantly checking what is happening.

Samuel1
Hero

The reason it drains battery faster when using GSM only is most likely due to the coverage in your area. If the GSM coverage is poor, the phone will constantly have to search for new signal (and in this case only GSM signals) to work properly, and therefor drain battery quick. If you use WCMA/GSM it uses both GSM and WCMA signals and is more likely to find a signal quick, without extensive searching and scanning.

moussouniredha
Visitor

where can i download  SUS