Join now - be part of our community!

Z5 Compact with "Adaptive Brightness" generates color distortion when unlocking

SOLVED
SebastianD
Contributor

Z5 Compact with "Adaptive Brightness" generates color distortion when unlocking

Hi,

I'm having an issue with my Z5 Compact when unlocking the screen. (Specially in dark rooms). The colors are totally "washed" for a few seconds, until adaptive brightness starts to work. 

Sometimes in a dark room (like the bedroom) there is a 50% chance or more of this to happen.

To reproduce this: You need to use "adaptive brightness" under settings. And you need to unlock your phone a few times. I'd recommend you to do this using Tapatalk (Dark theme). 

Anyway,

I'm posting this because I've received an update yesterday from 32.0.A.4.11 to 32.0.A.5.32 and the issue is still here.

Should I replace my device? Or just wait for another firmware? 

Regards,

Sebastian. 

63 REPLIES 63
Ali99
Visitor

Thanks @uliwooly - just tried that, still the same as before! Hmmm...

snapdragon810
Visitor

guys please, he is facing the exact same issue as everyone else including me, no workaround solution.  please check this thread i wrote my detailed issue. but read the whole thing you will know whats the problem and whats is the temporary workaround behind it.

/t5/Xperia-Z5-Z5-Compact-Z5-Premium/Z5-Compact-with-quot-Adaptive-Brightness-quot-generates-color/m-...

you do not have individual problem, its mass production issue on this model. sony seriously need to find a solution on this problem. i really hope one of the sony support here give us legitimate reason behind it and permanent fix or sony consider this issue in their new update. i do have this as well and others. its not the launcher, it is not the home screen, its not third party app, it is nothing, it wont work or get fixed in every possible way, no safe mode, no factory data reset, no hard reset, no reinstalling the software through PC companion. i did it already. so save the trouble and live with it. and you guys who are suggesting him to do these things why you guys dont test it on your devices and you will notice the same thing happening to you. and you guys try all the solutions and when you find one please post. but trial and error and guessing wont do it.

my advice dont use dark wallpaper as it makes the matter worse and you will notice it everytime, just use white or light coloured wallpaper to avoid depression.

peace.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@snapdragon810

thanks for the heads up

Ali99
Visitor

That **bleep**!! Thanks @snapdragon810

I share your frustration! It does make an otherwise great phone look crappy when I try to show things to other people - not the greatest advert for the phone...

Does Sony read these posts? Or is there another way to feed this feedback into the next software update in some way?

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Yes, does this also on my z5p if the wallpaper is dark,
Looks terrible tbh, like it's loading the image in 540p then goes to normal only when auto brightness changes the value.
snapdragon810
Visitor

greetings folks,

yes i agree it is very annoying when i try to show ppl something right fast when i unlock the screen. its really embarresing to show them on a blurry distorted wahsed colours screen on such high end phone.  it also happens with my buddy's xperia z5 regular as well, i am quite certain now that all z5 family has this horrible bug.

to answer you mr ali99:

Does Sony read these posts? they certianlly do, but the support ones over here have limited support, they cannot do anyhing if the suggested solutions didt work such as (hard rerset, data factory reset, clearing apps cahce, or even reinstall the software from PC companion) which in this case didnt work. so i hope they have authority to highlight this to real sony developers to find a solution.

is there another way to feed this feedback into the next software update in some way? as mentioned. if they highlight this it should be included in future fixes. however i realized sony support on here they reply only on the ones that have easy fixes but major issues such as this or the poor battery life or the frequent overheating or the random self restarting will not respond because there is no actual fix for them to suggest except through releasing new update/firmware.

Rickard
Master

Sorry to hear this.

I've been testing this here but i have not been able to get this in my unit.

Would it be possible for you to take two logs from your phone and send them to me? One taken directly after the phone has been restarted and one taken after this has happend?

To do this:
Settings > About phone > Build number, tap 7 times on the build number

Go back and select Developer options and turn on "USB debugging"

Restart your phone

Settings > Developer options, select "Take bug report"

The next time it happens

Settings > Developer options, select "Take bug report"

When you select "Take bug report" you get a notification shortly after (it takes a little while for the phone to create it). Tap the notification and share it to Google drive. Please send me a private message with a link to the logs and i will forward them internally for more information.

SebastianD
Contributor

"540p" that's a pretty good way to describe this issue. It looks like "pixelated" more than "washed".

I think it's something pretty easy to fix since it's automatically fixed if auto brightness change the display brightness (or you manually do that). 

@Rickard

I'll try to send you a report as soon as I get home. 

A good way to reproduce this is:

1) Turn on Auto brightness.

2) Set the brightness bar to the max or the middle.

3) Install Tapatalk, change theme to "Dark Mode". Open tapatalk. Lock the phone with tapatalk "dark" opened.

4) Go to a completely dark room and lock/unlock the phone until the problem occurs. 

EDIT: I just sent the report to you. 

janguita

I'm having the same issue. It's not annoying for me, but I don't like it.
SebastianD
Contributor

Here you can see the same issue we have, but in a Z3:

/t5/Xperia-Z3/Auto-Brightness-affecting-darker-color/td-p/913872

As you can see, the colors with auto brightness are distorted. 

I could upload a video of the Z5 Compact if really needed, but the pictures in the above topic are with the same problem, so I think they are enough.

The problem is automatically fixed when the brightness is changed (a few seconds after unlocking the device) or when you manually touch the "brightness bar". 

Sometimes, adaptive brightness doesn't need to change the brightness (when the ambient sensor light/brightness relationship matchs the defined brightness in the phone) in these cases, the only option to fix the colors is to manually touch the brightness bar or tap the light sensor.