Join now - be part of our community!

proximity sensor issue on Z1 Compact

SOLVED
Gikey
Visitor

proximity sensor issue on Z1 Compact

Hi,
Since 6 days I am a new user of Sony Xperia Z1 Compact (had previously Xperia Arc S) and since the beginning I have been facing strange problems with proximity sensor or other thing associated with it (some kind of drivers, software or something else).
When I start dialing and put the phone near my ear the screen goes blank immediately as it should be. When I take it away from my ear the screen wakes up with 0,5 sec. delay what is completely acceptable for me but this 0,5 sec. delay is only during dialing.
When a phone call is started then this delay is about 2 or 3 sec. and sometimes screen wakes up when the person I was talking to has ended the call. It is completely unacceptable and very annoying. Sometimes, during phone call, I do not want to end it but I need a keypad or check something etc. and I do not want to wait 3 sec. or more for phone response.
Sometimes I wonder if the person I am talking to did not end the call then the screen will ‘never’ wake up.
As I said I have this phone for a few days and I have a very few apps installed from Google Play Store on it– no other that I had on my Xperia Arc S.

I have searched some forums and noticed that this problem exists and there is still no solution for it.

Could you, Sony guys/technicians, tell us (Xperia Z1/Z1s/Z1 Compact users) if you are aware of this problem, please? Is it hardware or software problem? Are you working on solution? Is it possible to fix it by simple software update? When can we expect the proper update to solve the problem?

Regards
Grzegorz

73 REPLIES 73
Gikey
Visitor

Have you tried 'phone repair' with PC Companion or Sony Update Service software?

Simple system update sometimes is not enough.

Illidan
Visitor

Does 'phone repair with PC Companion' reset or erase any data or settings?

Gikey
Visitor

Yes, it erases all data and settings.

You should backup all your data before 'phone repair.

Insanes
Visitor

It's the same here, my screen often doesn't resposne after the call.
Gramail2010
Visitor

No I have not tried this, I know it will be difficult and time consuming and I'm afraid I can't face the thought of restoring all my data and settings as it took me SO long to sort them out the first time so I am just putting up with all the phone's defects- this is just one of many issues I have. It annoys me a lot that Sony can't fix their bugs without wiping my memory, which should be stored separately from any internal progammes or firmware. Anyway I will be more careful next time I buy a phone and not believe the reviews from people who had the phone for an hour or two in an office before singing its praises!

Fred71
Visitor

I have the same problem, very disturbing to explain to customers that the proximity sensor has some issue that is not repaired in updates! I found out today that during a call, the proximity SENSOR DOES NOT WORK WHEN THE PHONE IS TILTED 45DEG OR MORE, like you often do when the phone is on your shoulder and you press it against your ear. Please, anyone, how can this be fixed? My proximity sensor works fine in all angles when testing, but during a call it doesn't work when the phone is tilted - is there a connection to another sensor during a call?
Fred71
Visitor

FOUND A SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM- I use my very nice Stilgut leather vallet and simply close the cover after answering important, long calls! Surprisingly, the mic and ear speaker are barely affected by the cover being on, probably because they are so close to the edges. This keeps the screen protected from touches and the proximity sensor may work or not, I'm still able to make calls and can open the cover when needed. A mechanical solution from a mechanical engineer! 🙂
StalkerPicnic
Visitor

I am still having issues with this ear proxemity sensor failure. Everytime I make a call the screen goes black straight away and I cant do anything. Pressing the power button does not bring the screen back to life. I am stuck with a blank screen until the other person hangs up or if they dont answer I leave them an answerphone message. nothing I can do. Incredibly annoying as Im otherwise really happy with this phone. Can't believe Sony have not addressed this issue. If I'd known about it I would never have bought the phone. At worst slightly annoying, at worst completely unusable. 

If I run the test to check the sensor the phone vibrates straightaway as if the sensor is permanantly blocked.

Is there nothing I can do?

traveller_cz
Visitor

I also discovered the same problem. If I call to an automated system and have the phone on a speaker phone the screen shuts down immediately. I have no chance to use the keypad to communicate wth my bank, service provider and others. This is really annoying. Good hardware but very weak SW indeed.

StalkerPicnic
Visitor

This is weird. I was having problems with the screen cutting out straight away during calls as I detailed before. Today it has started doing the opposite. Now the screen stays on all the time during the call! 

Very strange. Very annoying. Very ridiculous.

Edit: now it's back to cutting out! So annoying.