Join now - be part of our community!

proximity sensor issue on Z1 Compact

SOLVED
Gikey
Visitor

proximity sensor issue on Z1 Compact

Hi,
Since 6 days I am a new user of Sony Xperia Z1 Compact (had previously Xperia Arc S) and since the beginning I have been facing strange problems with proximity sensor or other thing associated with it (some kind of drivers, software or something else).
When I start dialing and put the phone near my ear the screen goes blank immediately as it should be. When I take it away from my ear the screen wakes up with 0,5 sec. delay what is completely acceptable for me but this 0,5 sec. delay is only during dialing.
When a phone call is started then this delay is about 2 or 3 sec. and sometimes screen wakes up when the person I was talking to has ended the call. It is completely unacceptable and very annoying. Sometimes, during phone call, I do not want to end it but I need a keypad or check something etc. and I do not want to wait 3 sec. or more for phone response.
Sometimes I wonder if the person I am talking to did not end the call then the screen will ‘never’ wake up.
As I said I have this phone for a few days and I have a very few apps installed from Google Play Store on it– no other that I had on my Xperia Arc S.

I have searched some forums and noticed that this problem exists and there is still no solution for it.

Could you, Sony guys/technicians, tell us (Xperia Z1/Z1s/Z1 Compact users) if you are aware of this problem, please? Is it hardware or software problem? Are you working on solution? Is it possible to fix it by simple software update? When can we expect the proper update to solve the problem?

Regards
Grzegorz

73 REPLIES 73
wilpang20
Visitor

Thanks Alexdon

Software repair actually worked so its all good now Slightly_smiling_Face

profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

Great.

alexdon
Gramail2010
Visitor

I'm glad for willpang, Alexdon, but what about the other 60 of us who have not found a solution to this defect in our brand new phones?? It seems to be different for everyone and Sony has no real answers

I am not impressed by the idea of installing any more general updates, given the bad press they are getting in the forums with worse problems even than this one, plus the crazy situation that we risk losing all our data if we say yes to a software update!  And considering that even the update only fixes the problem for some people...

What I'd like is a specific software fix or workaround so that this sensor works properly and doesn't interfere with making and ending phone calls.

profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

I am sorry because I cannot help you all,sometimes it is not because of the software,but because of cases that interfere with the sensor or even apps installed by the user.In other cases,the sensor is faulty.

alexdon
frantzouille
Visitor

Last update resolves all bugs I encountered, now my z1 compact works again like a charm... Folded_Hands

tnp
Visitor

Hi, i am experiencing  the exact same problems, and i have sendt my Z1 Compact  to repair on the warranty 2 times now, but the problem(s) is still the same....

I can also sometimes not stop the alarm clock when it is going off + I have had problems with the loudspeaker volume... suddenly i only had half the decibel...   ??

The phone is restarted in every 2 days or more, and have always had the latest updates firmware ect...

What can i do now...  ??

Is my Z1 Compact defect beyound repairs??

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards 

T.

profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

You should wait for another firmware update,see if it gets better.

alexdon
ahmad93
Visitor

i had the same problem with the earpiece when i am listening to any person during calls the same little vibrations and the sound is distorted and is not clear but you can try this go so settings>call settings> make the equaliser bright

Tags (1)
Robertnaples
Visitor

i've same problem and i haven't screen protector on it, just on the back/rear of my phone.

It happens sometimes that remains off after having pulled away from my ear ... it remains off.

I've yet done a SwRepair with PCCompanion ... but nothing to do ... has also gone in a Sony Center for repairing but nothing ... what shall'I do ?

Illidan
Visitor

@ Gikey : I have the the KitKat update and the subsequent KitKat fix (which fixed the bug with the sound coming from the ear speaker), but I STILL HAVE THE BLACK SCREEN PROBLEM WHEN CALLING (i.e. sometimes having to wait till the call ends for the screen to re-appear).

Do you by any chance have any other ideas?