Join now - be part of our community!

Headphones not recognised

SOLVED
rememberthistim
Visitor

Headphones not recognised

Has anyone had an issue with their phone not recognising when headphones are plugged in? I've found that my sennheiser over ear set aren't recognised, whereas my earbuds and the set in the box are.

Unfortunately my over ear ones are by far my preferred choice. The only noticeable difference is that the input on them is a couple of mm's shorter, but this has never previously caused am issue on other phones.

Hoping that either im missing something obvious or there is an easy fix for this.
Tags (1)
53 REPLIES 53
Wretchard
Visitor

Took the phone to the Sony shop here in Seoul. Had it fixed in 30 minutes. Also got the cover of the battery charging slot changed. My 1 year warranty is over but they fixed it for free. One thing I can say about Korea is that the service is excellent for everything from every company. Sorry to hear about you guys in other countries getting awful service from Sony. 

Either way, its the 3rd time I've had my phone into the shop to get fixed. Very disappointing. 

And, on a tangent, not much of a fan of the camera.

Klparhia
Visitor

The app also worked for me but I will never buy another Sony phone again unless this gets fixed soon.
Have never been so annoyed with a phone.
Linky
Visitor

Agreed.  Still not working for my Sony phone. Clearly a major issue but Sony don't care as it's not their headphones

Captain1timer
Visitor

Try disabling smart connect in settings: apps: all
mj2k
Visitor

Mine's just failed as well; I'm sending it in for warranty repair tomorrow. I know mine's a hardware fault because the headphones work fine if I push the jack to one side (a trick I picked up with my Walkman in the 80s) and using different headphones makes no difference.

In reply to some of the angrier posters, software issues aside it's not Sony's fault, or at least not in the past couple of decades or so. It's a fault which goes right back to the original Walkman and the decision to use a modified 3.5mm jack with stereo connections. The contacts inside have to be thinner than with the 3.5mm mono, so are prone to bending over time, getting dirty, or pulling off the pcb. And since the 3.5mm jack has become an industry standard, it's a fault which eventually occurs on all devices with a 3.5mm stereo jack, whether made by Sony or not.

Not sure why it seems to fail so quickly on some Z3 compacts though...

Vincevega
Visitor

Thanks to everyone for da soundabout app headphones work again anyone got a fix for y my ps3 won't recognise my SONY Xperia E4 I could play my music from phone through my ps3 with my Samsung but I don't have an sd card in this phone is it as simple as that or a software error???..answer's on a postcard please 😂 😂
ejosvk
Visitor

I have the same problem now. it happens after a year of using my phone, often listening a music. It is really annoying i have to get it repair now and i have no music on the go. Not very good job SONY. work on it and ensure this won't happend on next models or i am done with you. 

Vegn
Visitor

Another angry customer! I had great time with my monster inspire headphones until they just stopped working. Have followed advise from above commenter's and got the soundabout app just to use perfectly good headphones. Seriously Sony you need to fix and reimburse your customers. This is bad!

Vegn
Visitor

Nice speech but you do realize we are all suffering from failed software. Not anything to do with the 3.5mm jack. Mine is fine and never had a problem with the jack's.
RafaJay
Visitor

I got the same problem here. My z3c recognizes apple earphones and other standart phones I've tried, but not my headphone. The headphone is recognized by my notebook and other phones I've tried. I tried the SoundAbout and cleaned the SmartConnect data, but none of those methods worked. I'm pretty sure its a softwere issue.