Join now - be part of our community!

XA1 Ultra rapid battery drain

SOLVED
DasBymas
Visitor

XA1 Ultra rapid battery drain

My G3226 XA1 Ultra began experiencing massive battery drain literally overnight several months ago. There was no change in settings or new apps installed, the phone just stopped holding a charge. Battery will show 100% on standby but after fifteen to twenty minutes the phone will have turned off due to low battery. When the phone is restarted it will show 1% charge remaining and charge extremely slowly back up to 100%. At the time I assumed it was the battery and replaced it only to experience the exact same issue with the new battery. I then tried the software repair function in the Xperia companion with no results. If I disconnect the battery after it dies and reconnect it, the battery life shows 95% or so and then begins to rapidly drain again which leads me to believe that this is a software issue and not a battery issue. Over the last few months I've tried the software repair function several times and always no change. The phone is currently at 48.1.A.2.73. Fully charged battery life shows 2 hours remaining and only 4 hours, 46 minutes if switched to Ultra Stamina mode. The phone doesn't show any power consuming apps as it is always in standby with the screen off.

I would appreciate any help you can give   Thanks. 

26 REPLIES 26
tomtremendous
Visitor

Exactly the same issue here. 18 months old, no new apps, updates on. Battery life goes over the cliff edge. 

Very dissapointing. 

Ryebread
Visitor

Does Sony have any official response to this problem. I just got this issue starting a couple of days ago. I can now literally watch the battery % drop as I'm typing this. Like other people mine is just over a year old and just outside of warranty. How can something like that happen? In previous phones the battery would just slowly over time not hold a charge but with this one it was fine one day and terrible the next. 

cheekygr1n
Visitor

I am experiencing the same issue.

My battery useage usually leaves me with about 50% at the end of the day and gets charged over night. Has been rock solid but then suddenly (last few days) it has started going straight to 1% randomly and without getting hot. 

I have tried *#*#7378423#*#* to get into the service menu and it reports that the battery is good. Performing a factory charge also did not fix the issue.

To me it looks like a software issue, if it was dendrites (crystals growing and shorting out the cell) it would get really hot, possibly catch fire, and explode = a very dangerous situation.

I will be contacting sony to see what can be done, and top see if the phone is now dangerous to use.

Whatever happens this needs to be resolved as it is not fit for purpose, which is a consumer right extending to the life of the product. 

Here is some data for interest:

Info on dendrites and batteries: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/smartphone-battery-life-lithium-ion-future 

Screenshot_20190723-153150.pngScreenshot_20190723-153222.png

slumdawgcpt
Visitor

Sony will not acknowledge the problem. They won't even bother to reply with an exceptable answer, S to when we can expect a security or firmware update.

Janders
Visitor

I had the same problem. Did factory reset and it fixed issue 100 %

Lightning09
Visitor

I have a question here, my phone won't go up when charging, do you think it may be the battery or charging port? The phone still says charging and doing it for a few hours but it only charge up to 12%, and won't move up to 100% I can replace the battery but I don't know if it is the issue or charging port?

roykela
Visitor

I have the same problem, and i've been having it since April.
Started after an update.
Sometimes the phone won't even charge. The battery will go down during charging.

One thing that helps me prolong the charge is to restart the phone. I notice, however, that sometimes the bluetooth is on when it restarts. I don't use bluetooth. So i have to turn it off.

I might be blind but i haven't seen any reply from Sony about this. If so, that is really poor,

I have two acquaintances with the same phone and the same problem. Different ages on the phone.

Gilbe
Visitor

I got the same problem, my phone is useless and sony just ignore me, is this a scam or something?! 

douggie
Visitor

Hi there! Did you get ANY solution to this problem? Ive now got 3 XA1s doing the same thing and no help from SONY at all.
Very.grateful if you would respond.

Regards

Douggie

ziggyzak3
Visitor

It doesn't seem like they're addressing anything. I have the Xperia XA1 (G3121) and over the last week or two, my phone Has been going from 100% to 0% within about 30 minutes. I even observed it die whilst the phone was turned off. Turned it off with 60% battery and it wouldn't turn back on. It's also getting noticably hot and it's now at a point where this issue is affecting my work since my phone is never on. This needs to be fixed or at least addressed as it's becoming too much of an issue now.