Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia X - SMS reading on car multimedia (Opel IntelliLink) does not work after upgrade to Oreo

Yerry
Visitor

Xperia X - SMS reading on car multimedia (Opel IntelliLink) does not work after upgrade to Oreo

Hello
after upgrading to Oreo, the SMS reading over bluetooth connection on the car multimedia does not work (Opel IntelliLink Navi900). So far everything worked correctly on the previous versions of android (Nugat 7.1.1)

I tried on versions 34.4.A.2.50, 34.4.A.2.70, 34.4.A.2.85, on each of them the SMS icon on the screen is inactive, no SMS list and display.

The SMS reading on the car multimedia screen works correctly with other smartphones I verified:

Sony Xperia XA1 (Oreo 8.0.0), Samsung Galaxy S8 (Oreo), Huawei Nova (Nugat), Xperia X (Nougat).
Only Xperia X with Oreo system has a bug with SMS reading.

4 REPLIES 4
Yerry
Visitor

I made a few tests and I have the following observations:

1. clearing the Bluetooth app data - did not help

2. test the phone in safe mode - did not help

3. hard reset (Power and Vol+) - partly helped. The sms icon on the multimedia screen has become active and a list of text messages appeared on the screen. But... only for the next phone and radio connection over bluetooth. Interesting observation - after every hard reset and then connection of the phone with the radio, the sms reading works. But only until the next connection. And it is repetitive each time.

Any suggestions?

Yerry
Visitor

Still without a positive solution. Factory reset did not solve the problem. Clearing the SMS database  also.

Each time the phone is restarted, the SMS reading works but only until next time when the phone and car radio connection is started.

Any idea?

Yerry
Visitor

After many attempts I probably found the source of problem.
I noticed that after phone reset to the factory settings everything works fine, problems appear only after restoring the settings and data from the Xperia backup (Settings > System > Xperia™ Backup & Restore). There we can backup and restore folowing elements:

• Contacts
  • Conversations
  • Call log
  • Calendar
  • Email accounts
  • ‎Wi-Fi accounts
  • Device settings
  • Applications
  • Xperia Home layout

By recovering each of the backup elements one at a time, resetting the phone to the factory settings each time, I found that the "Email accounts" data restore  results in incorrect SMS communication with the car radio.
I have 5 email accounts defined (POP3 and Microsoft Exchange) and all of them have been recovered with Xperia backup. After several tests, it turned out that it is enough to delete one of these five accounts to make SMS communication with the radio work properly. No matter which email account.

This problem is 100% reproducible, regardless of whether I manually configure an email account or restore from the backup, each time the result is a communication disruption.

My conclusion: no more than 4 email accounts can be defined in an email application.

I don't know what is the relation between the email application and SMS communication with car multimedia, but in my opinion that there is a bug either in the Sony email application or in Oreo.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

A great finding!

And great persistence in digging into it.

My compliments!