Join now - be part of our community!

How to turn off vibrations in Android 8.0 Oreo when receiving text messages?

SOLVED
Andres_Iniesta
Visitor

How to turn off vibrations in Android 8.0 Oreo when receiving text messages?

Hi there,

I have just upgraded my XPERIA X to Android 8.0 (firmware build number 34.4.A.0.364) and noticed that it now vibrates every time I get a text message. I coud not find on the settings within the messages app any option to disable vibrations.

How can one do it while keeping sound notifications when receiving text messages?

Please kindly assist.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jonas
Master

Hi @Andres_Iniesta, thank you for your question! Slightly_smiling_Face

There has been a small change with the Messaging application and the new notification system in Android 8.0. You can however find the option to turn off vibration for when you are receiving text messages if you follow the steps below.

1. Find and tap Settings > Apps & notifications > App info.
  2. Select Messaging, then tap App notifications.
  3. Under Categories, tap on "Messages" > and turn off "Vibrate"

I hope that helps! Slightly_smiling_Face

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@Andres_Iniesta

Open the messaging app > menu > settings > notifications > vibrate > off 

Andres_Iniesta
Visitor

@uliwooly That was probably true for Android 7.x Nougat but with the messaging app bundled with Android 8.0 Oreo, the settings menu does not include anymore a "Notifications" item. 😕
Jonas
Master

Hi @Andres_Iniesta, thank you for your question! Slightly_smiling_Face

There has been a small change with the Messaging application and the new notification system in Android 8.0. You can however find the option to turn off vibration for when you are receiving text messages if you follow the steps below.

1. Find and tap Settings > Apps & notifications > App info.
  2. Select Messaging, then tap App notifications.
  3. Under Categories, tap on "Messages" > and turn off "Vibrate"

I hope that helps! Slightly_smiling_Face

cobbler
Visitor

Can this be done for yahoo mail app on oreo 8.0.0? as I cannot see it. 

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@cobbler

you will have to check the app notification settings, if it's missing you will have to send your request/feedback to Yahoo. 

cobbler
Visitor

@uliwoolywrote:

@cobbler

you will have to check the app notification settings, if it's missing you will have to send your request/feedback to Yahoo. 

How freeky is this, I only found out how to do this earlier then I receive this , so uncanny, thanks anyway 

Jonas
Master

Hi @cobbler, sorry for the late reply.

Where you are able to turn off the vibration for the Yahoo application? If you can't find the option directly in the application, try going to Settings > Apps & notifications > Configure notifications > Notifications > name of the application.

Sometimes they may be a bit hidden, for example it will say "Mail", try tapping that and you should see a new menu where you can hopefully turn vibration off for incoming mails.

Have a great day!

cobbler
Visitor

@Jonaswrote:

Hi @cobbler, sorry for the late reply.

Where you are able to turn off the vibration for the Yahoo application? If you can't find the option directly in the application, try going to Settings > Apps & notifications > Configure notifications > Notifications > name of the application.

Sometimes they may be a bit hidden, for example it will say "Mail", try tapping that and you should see a new menu where you can hopefully turn vibration off for incoming mails.

Have a great day!

Thanks for your reply, yes, I found it in the app itself, thanks again. 

Sammm
Visitor

Go to Apps & Notifications