Join now - be part of our community!

Bluetooth is repeatedly terminated

Feyco
Visitor

Bluetooth is repeatedly terminated

Hi, 

I occasionally have an error message popping up saying "Bluetooth is repeatedly terminated", even though I have never used the Bluetooth. The message will keep popping up until I restart the phone. Any idea on how to fix this?

Thx.

Also, the original message is in German : "Bluetooth wird wiederholt beendet" . 

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Do you have bluetooth switched on?

If so and you never use it, why not switch it off.

Your battery life will improve too.

If you question is different then explain a bit more please.

Feyco
Visitor

Of course it is not on. I don't really know how to replicate this bug, but I just know that it occasionally happens. All that happens is, once the bug occurs,  the error message keeps popping up regardless what you do and keeps blocking the center of your screen no matter how often you close it. The only way to fix it is to restart the phone.

It is similar to this state in this video, but two differences. I can still use my phone and the message is different. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=38Z_WW-92kw

pseudonym
Contributor

Could be a background Bluetooth process rather than the setting that is controlled directly by the user, or perhaps a corrupted Bluetooth setting.

You might first try the following:

Settings - Networking & Internet (upper right menu) Reset Network Settings

You'll have to reconnect to Wifi and re-pair with any Bluetooth devices you might use.

Feyco
Visitor

Thanks, I will try it and see if the bug occurs again. Since I don't know how to replicate it  I can't tell if it fixes the problem. So other suggestions are welcome . 

pseudonym
Contributor

Next in line is settings - apps & notifications - app info (show system in upper right menu) 

Select the Bluetooth app, then storage.

Clear the cache and data.

Again, you'll probably have to re-pair devices.

For all I know you may have already accomplished this step when you reset network settings, previously, but it's worth a try.

Feyco
Visitor

Clearing the cache and the data of the bluetooth app indeed solves it (although you have to do it twice) thank you very much. However, I am still curious  what actually causes this bug. 

pseudonym
Contributor

The Bluetooth cache and data are probably similar to "preferences" and "settings" on other computer systems. Since they're files that can be modified by the user (every time you pair a Bluetooth device, for instance), there's always the possibility that they can become corrupted in the process, introducing errors and unpredictable behavior. Clearing them (deleting them) allows the system to create new default Bluetooth settings files.