Join now - be part of our community!

HDMI input that supports HDCP 2.2 Sony KDL-32W705C

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
POFFOP
Explorer

HDMI input that supports HDCP 2.2 Sony KDL-32W705C

Can anyone tell me whether the HDMI inputs support HDCP 2.2 for this model as it is a requirement of a Roku streaming stick I'm looking to get. I mainly want this device so I can access BBC iPlayer and other similar streaming apps that Sony have removed from the TV.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@POFFOP @daveyh64 

I can add a little, but I think your answer is accurate:-

https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/

“HDCP 2.2 is essentially about UltraHD 4K copy protection. So for now anyone with (or buying) a non-4K 1080p TV doesn't need to worry. Once we start seeing more widely available 4K content, it will be more of an issue.”

So the Roku stick you are thinking of buying does 4K, but your TV doesn’t. That’s fine - the Stick will drop to HD so your TV can manage the output from it - but it means you are future-proofed for when and if you buy a 4K TV, all modern examples of which will have HDCP 2.2

I think that even if you found something that was only in 4K (as most things on the Roku will serve you an HD version anyway, given the capabilities of your TV), the Stick would downscale it to HD and, as it would no longer be in 4K, would serve it to you without requiring HDCP 2.2

So buy the Stick, and enjoy it, on this TV, and the next.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Click on the link below to review the specifications for your TV, go to Interface then Inputs and Output terminals,

the only reference is to HDCP 1.4.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs/kdl-32w705c/specifications

I would think if you went ahead and bought the Roku you will be able to use it for most content but not

4K UHD.

Perhaps someone else will respond with a better more accurate answer.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@POFFOP @daveyh64 

I can add a little, but I think your answer is accurate:-

https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/

“HDCP 2.2 is essentially about UltraHD 4K copy protection. So for now anyone with (or buying) a non-4K 1080p TV doesn't need to worry. Once we start seeing more widely available 4K content, it will be more of an issue.”

So the Roku stick you are thinking of buying does 4K, but your TV doesn’t. That’s fine - the Stick will drop to HD so your TV can manage the output from it - but it means you are future-proofed for when and if you buy a 4K TV, all modern examples of which will have HDCP 2.2

I think that even if you found something that was only in 4K (as most things on the Roku will serve you an HD version anyway, given the capabilities of your TV), the Stick would downscale it to HD and, as it would no longer be in 4K, would serve it to you without requiring HDCP 2.2

So buy the Stick, and enjoy it, on this TV, and the next.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
POFFOP
Explorer

@royabrown2& @daveyh64 

I think your replied give me the confidence to go ahead knowing the stick will be compatible, accepting of course my TV is not 4K. Thank you both.