Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrade to ICS with unlocked bootloader

SOLVED
Not applicable

Upgrade to ICS with unlocked bootloader

What I know is that the phone can upgrade into ICS using PC Companion, but what I would like to know is whether it's possible to upgrade my phone using the PC companion even if I have its bootloader unlocked. Since if I accept OTA upgrade, it might result to bricking it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nabeel
Master

if you unlock your bootloader, you won't be able to update to ICS using PC companion or sony update service

in order to use pc companion, you would have to relock your bootloader

and Bionder, you are late, .ftf files are already out and people have already installed ICS,

i too had finished downloading the ftf file nd now backing up my ARC S

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
santam1
Contributor

Nope I don't think...you'll be able to upgrade to ICS with unlocked bootloader....so I think you need to lock again and update...but unlocking bootloader may cause you're warranty to fly of...and also lost the DRM files...which you won't get even after locking...it..

Not applicable

Yes, thank you for that. Also I have read in the ICS beta ROM page that I won't be able to update into ICS using the SEUS/PC companion. However, what I would want to know now is how will I be able to update my phone. Will relocking the bootloader allow the update to run successfully?

santam1
Contributor

Yes....but the important part is you will lost the DRM files...which won't be restored even after locking...and losing DRM Files would cause some app to malfunction and won't work..like the music player extension....:D

I'll suggest you to wait ICS launched it will be available in next month...:D

Bionder
Visitor

Or wait for someone to put the .ftf file online and flash it to your device, using flashtool.

Nabeel
Master

if you unlock your bootloader, you won't be able to update to ICS using PC companion or sony update service

in order to use pc companion, you would have to relock your bootloader

and Bionder, you are late, .ftf files are already out and people have already installed ICS,

i too had finished downloading the ftf file nd now backing up my ARC S

Bionder
Visitor

ahah you're right,i didn't know some people already had ICS. I have read now. My mistake.