Join now - be part of our community!

Elm - Twitter service problem

SOLVED
Not applicable

Elm - Twitter service problem

Hello there,

For more than a week now I cannot login to my Twitter widget and I'm getting the message "The service is unavailable".

I can go online to any other service, facebook, websites etc without problem. The only problem is Twitter.

It is an important issue for me because I use it for my work.

P.S.: I received a notice from Twitter two weeks ago that an automatic update was available. Accidentally, I choose the No button. Do you think that this may be the cause of my problem? If yes, where I can download the update manually?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Markus1
Leader

You can try to do a master reset (Settings > General) or try to run PC Companion and repair the software. Both will reset the software which also will mean that the Twitter widget will be reinstalled.

No guarantee this will solve the problem though. If this problem is due to a change at Twitter's end I'm pretty sure this will not help.

What do you think about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Markus1
Leader

Try to visit m.twitter.com or even www.twitter.com with the phone's browser to see if you can use it this way. This might also trigger a new prompt for the update you declined.

Let me know.

Not applicable

Tried to visit both sites and received the same message:

"Communication failure. Secure connection failed"

Thank you for fast response

Markus1
Leader

I will have a look at this and see if I can get the same problem here. Twitter works fine in my Xperia arc but that's a different phone model so it doesn't say much.

I'll start up a Elm and see how it goes. I'll post again when I'm done testing. Slightly_smiling_Face

Markus1
Leader

OK, so I've tested this now.

When connecting via 3G (Swedish operator Telenor) I get a Error 403-message.

If I connect via WiFi it works just fine.

This was done in the browser. The software in the Elm I got my hands on does not have a Twitter client installed.

Can you please try when connected on WiFi? It seems to be a connection issue at Twitter's end since I get the same problem from here.

Not applicable

Thank you for your help so far.

Well unfortunetely I'm using it via Wi-Fi. Although i tried it with or without wifi i got the same result.

I would like to spot one thing that i tried before. I downloaded Opera couple minutes ago and I could visit and login to both Twitter sites, (m.twitter.com and www.twitter.com).

But no luck with the widget

Markus1
Leader

Hmm. OK, so:

- It used to work fine.

- Now it's not working via widget or default browser.

- It makes no difference if you're connected via 3G or WiFi.

- It does work when using Opera browser.

So far all is correct right?

It does appear a bit strange that it's working for me with the standard browser when connected via WiFi (but not on 3G) - and for you not at all. I should add that I had to reload the page once before I could access it on WiFi so it was not trouble-free.

Since it's working via Opera (which I know provide better support for many websites) I guess it could be related to a change made at Twitter's end. The latest (and last) update for Elm was released some time ago and it is fully possible that the built-in widgets for e.g. Twitter and Facebook can stop working if Twitter/Facebook make changes at their end requiring changes in the widgets.

This phone is unfortunately not going to get any new updates so, if this is the case, I can only suggest you keep using Twitter via Opera browser.

OR. You can go to getjar.com and try a new Twitter client. I see they have a few listed here. I don't know if they're any good though so you'd have to try them out.

Not applicable

Exactly as stated.

Well I guess there is no solution. Just one more question and then lets end the subject.

Is there any way to re-download the Elm's twitter application? I mean any external way?

Markus1
Leader

You can try to do a master reset (Settings > General) or try to run PC Companion and repair the software. Both will reset the software which also will mean that the Twitter widget will be reinstalled.

No guarantee this will solve the problem though. If this problem is due to a change at Twitter's end I'm pretty sure this will not help.

Not applicable

Yeap that worked although I hoped that I wouldn't need to reset my phone.

Thank you Marcus. Consider it as solved.