Join now - be part of our community!

SONY KD-55A1 oled tv has become discoloured

profile.country.GB.title
destroyer8uk
Explorer

SONY KD-55A1 oled tv has become discoloured

Over the last few months my wall mounted SONY KD-55A1 oled tv has become discoloured in the centre of the panel all reds have a purple hue, yellows look green and white areas have a blue hue, but the outer areas around the panel are ok, the size of the affected area is approx. 600mm vertically and 500mm horizontally this area is directly in line with the folded power board.  The colours got even worse when I was requested to do a panel refresh, this tv is out of warranty and when I purchased it over 20 months ago I paid nearly £2000. For the last 30 all my electrical entertainment products have been high end Sony of which I have recommended to family and friends but this purchase though the most expensive is a massive let down.  The thing is what can I do to fix this issue I have tried unplugging and resetting to no avail and the centre of the panel  is extremely hot.  Any advice is most welcome.

23 REPLIES 23
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Did it appears after a panel refresh? Have you ever did it? if not try to do it once and see if it solves. Afterwards, if the problem is still present, I'd suggest to take pictures against uniform color image and contact Sony support

profile.country.GB.title
Pumpkinlove36

Many thanks,

Good advice and I'll try what you have suggested. 

profile.country.GB.title
Pumpkinlove36

Hi, once again great advice and thanks. I cast from my phone a plain yellow background. It shows the change in colour really well. 

I'll be passing this on to Sony support. 

IMG-20200519-WA0002.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Pumpkinlove36

IMG-20200519-WA0001.jpg

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Pumpkinlove36 now it is really clear. What about the panel refresh? Have you tried it or the problem raised after the TV asked for it? 'cause for 2017 model it was the panel refresh itself that brought up the problem....

Another, maybe silly, question: do you leave the tv plugged to power during the night?

profile.country.GB.title
Pumpkinlove36

The TV asked for a refresh about 2 months ago. But I didn't notice anything to be honest. I wasn't looking but it could have caused this issue. The TV only gets turned of via the remote. I'm in dialogue with sony at the moment. Will see what they suggest.

Tv is asking for a panel refresh but it does not carry it out when set.

profile.country.GB.title
Pumpkinlove36

Id ignore it. The panel refresh takes hours an has been reported to damage the screen. I believe it damaged mine but got the TV replaced under warranty. 

Piscie
Community Team

Hi destroyer8uk, it might be a screen burn, maybe you have left a static image for a long time!

I would personally recommend trying panel calibration & refresh, followed by a factory reset if needed.

Hope it helps!

profile.country.GB.title
Pumpkinlove36

Go on YouTube and look at plan yellow red etc backgrounds. This will highlight screen burn. What happened in my case was what is believed to be a panel refresh that over heated the screen and caused damage. A factory reset will do nothing for the screen. It's physical not software related.